PDA

View Full Version : Sockless Sump cause Skimmer Pump to clog up faster?

Reeferman1019
07/24/2017, 01:13 PM
I don't run any filter socks by not running I have noticed more detritus inside of my sump. Does this cause Skimmer Pimp to clog faster and effect performance on skimmer and other pump etc? I do vacuum my sump periodically. I was also thinking to add a power head to sump for more flow to kick up detritus for Skimmer to pickup. Any ideas would help. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clowning_Around
07/24/2017, 01:26 PM
Speculation on my part but as long as you clean your skimmer pump regularly, I suspect it won't be an issue on the pump....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reeferman1019
07/24/2017, 02:16 PM
Speculation on my part but as long as you clean your skimmer pump regularly, I suspect it won't be an issue on the pump....

How often do you clean your skimmer pump?

Clowning_Around
07/24/2017, 02:37 PM
Pumps every 3 months unless your manf recommends something other.

dendrite
07/24/2017, 02:37 PM
with a filter sock I could go 6 months without a tear down of the skimmer, and at that it wasn't all that bad. I removed the filter sock and it looked like someone threw mud on the skimmer with caked debris on the surface and the impeller and venturi valve . The skimmer sits in the first compartment. Back to using a filter sock

Reeferman1019
07/24/2017, 02:45 PM
with a filter sock I could go 6 months without a tear down of the skimmer, and at that it wasn't all that bad. I removed the filter sock and it looked like someone threw mud on the skimmer with caked debris on the surface and the impeller and venturi valve . The skimmer sits in the first compartment. Back to using a filter sock

Yea I just don't like filter socks and since not using them it's so much better and my system is better and water test are the same I run a BB system so it's pretty easy for me to siphon out detritus during water changes. My sump doesn't have any compartments and my skimmer sits on the far end of the sump before the return pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk