PDA

View Full Version : Ocellaris and percula

Smells_fishy
07/24/2017, 05:54 PM
Are ocellaris and percula clowns found in stichodactyla Haddoni in the ocean?

Thanks.

davocean
07/24/2017, 06:01 PM
Neither are a natural match as found in wild.

Smells_fishy
07/24/2017, 06:35 PM
It's just mertensii, gigantea, and ritteri, correct?

ThRoewer
07/24/2017, 07:45 PM
S. haddoni isn't a natural host for either of them, but both are likely to accept it in captivity.

For A. percula: S. gigantea & H. magnification are the primary hosts you find them in while H. crispa is supposed to be a natural host as well (thought that may very well be an error). In the wild, the percula with more black are only found in giganteas. The percula you find in magnificas have little to no black.

A. ocellaris is found in S. gigantea, S. mertensi and H. magnifica. As with percula, the ones found in carpet anemones usually have stronger black borders around the white bars while the ones found in magnificas are pretty much just orange and white.

The coloration may change when the fish are in a different anemone than they were in the wild.

In captivity many anemonefish are often not too picky about their hosts and may accept a range of other anemones or even corals.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

davocean
07/24/2017, 09:02 PM
True many do, but it's not gauranteed obviously, my last percs I had 5.5 years accepted LTA, Crispa, BTA, Malu, Mag, over those years but would never accept a hadonni, not for the 4 months I kept it anyway

mav3rick478
07/24/2017, 09:58 PM
Back in the day I had an Ocellaris finally take to a Haddoni but it took a good 6 months.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk