PDA

View Full Version : Work bench

SFish
07/25/2017, 04:05 AM
Any plans or suggestions for making a work bench. I cut a lot of PVC and acrylic.

Rtdrumz
07/25/2017, 06:30 AM
I built aomething similar to this. Mine has drawers for tools , screws, sanpaper, brushes, etc... https://youtu.be/afBsEVcOCD0

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Lsufan
07/25/2017, 08:08 PM
Depends how big u want it & how good u want it to look. The cheapest way would be a 2 by 4 frame with a piece of plywood on top. It would essentially be the same as rocketengineers stand design here on rc.

ca1ore
07/25/2017, 09:44 PM
Tons of plans online. I'm a woodworker, I needed a work table that was flat and coplanar, so I made a plywood torsion bid as my base with a plywood top surface. Don't have to get that fancy though.

WLachnit
07/25/2017, 10:14 PM
Also a woodworker as well. There is nothing like a nice flat workbench. In a pinch you can use a solid core slab door from HD as a top. Not quite as flat and rigid as ca1ore's torsion box top, but certainly much better than a plywood top.

SFish
07/26/2017, 12:47 AM
I'm thinking a miter saw on a bench is the way to go for me.

Clowning_Around
07/26/2017, 10:03 AM
I like my bench out of simple 2x and plywood top. I can even get carried away and drill on top of it and replace the top easily. Aside from which design/type hou go with, I highly recommend a good bench vise. I use mine all the time for any number of tasks. Yoy can pickup a good size one inexpensively from harbor freight

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

der_wille_zur_macht
07/26/2017, 10:05 AM
Besides the slab door, another good source of a cheap top is a seconds or scrapped piece of laminate counter top. It can be had cheap or free, it's fairly flat, and it's dense enough that it is robust if you're doing heavy work on it.

SFish
07/26/2017, 11:36 AM
I like my bench out of simple 2x and plywood top. I can even get carried away and drill on top of it and replace the top easily. Aside from which design/type hou go with, I highly recommend a good bench vise. I use mine all the time for any number of tasks. Yoy can pickup a good size one inexpensively from harbor freight

Yeah I was going to add one or two.

SFish
07/26/2017, 11:51 AM
Any recommendations height wise how tall to go? I was thinking of going the 2x4 route. I'll probably also make a small table for my router as well. The only thing I'm a little nervous about is getting the height right for the saw so the sides are level.

WLachnit
07/26/2017, 12:28 PM
I made mine the same height as my cabinet saw which is 32ish inches. I'm average height which works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clowning_Around
07/26/2017, 12:52 PM
I did this with mine... all the verticals are 2x4, the horizontals out of 2x6. At mid table I installed two cross members the width of my miter box. At those members I installed an extra set of legs and removed the front rail between. I then installed plywood top at both sides and then installed a plywood bottom at the underside of those cross members, this provides an inset for the saw. I then took the short removed 2x6 front rail and installed another plywood topon that piece the width sand depth of the inset. Oh and I held my side plywood tops to the center of the cross rails leaving a lipon top. Now I can remove my saw and slide this extra L piece in the inset for a full benchtop when the need arises. I also cut those 2x6 cross rails to the same height as my miter box (minus the plywood top), so that my miterbox and plywoodsides are at the same height. As for overall height, I suggest a comfortable working height so you don't get the hunch back syndrome, mines likely higher than most but it's what I like. I installed a plywood mid shelf on mine and sized it to allow for flip top storage containers for easily use. My overall height is around 48 inches iirc, I like being able to easily see my pencil cut marks... I think most are less, like 36-42 range. Also think about if you plan on using a high top Stool or not.... I suggest holding your hand out in front of you in open air to visualize and experiment with what feels and looks good to you as oppressed to a suggested height given your making it custom for you.

Also check out peg board, you can use it on the rear wall with all sorts of organizational hangers, just be sure to install it with spacers of the wall so you can insertand reposition those hangers at will. I temporarily taped some steel nuts on the backside and screwed right through them into the wall studs.

BigDave
07/26/2017, 01:17 PM
Height-wise... I made mine waist height. That way I can use it just walking up, or I can grab a barstool and it still lands at a good height.

Clowning_Around
07/26/2017, 03:38 PM
For reference in the US a standard desk height is 30inches, a standard countertop 36inches and a standard accessible (handicap) countertop is 34inches.

Lsufan
07/26/2017, 09:17 PM
How tall u are may make a difference but I would make it 36" tall. Your kitchen countertops should be 36" for a reference. Depending on the room u have I would go ahead & make it as long as u can to where it is 6' to 8' long if possible. 24" depth (front to back) is a good size to. U can also build another frame about 1' from the floor & it would help sturdy it up but u can also put plywood on that to & it gives u somewhere to store things under the workbench. A sheet of plywood is 48" wide so if u go 24" u would be ripping it in half, so u may as well use the other half to make a space for storage.

BigDave
07/27/2017, 06:31 AM
All this talk of work benches and no photos...

Here's mine. The bench top is inlaid inside the pine outer edge. There's a hole in the front corner that I can use to lift up on it. If I spill something on it or it gets too torn up I can remove it and slide a new piece in.

http://cadcdn.wallings.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/IMG_20140527_191508-768x576.jpg

SFish
07/27/2017, 01:37 PM
I did this with mine... all the verticals are 2x4, the horizontals out of 2x6. At mid table I installed two cross members the width of my miter box. At those members I installed an extra set of legs and removed the front rail between. I then installed plywood top at both sides and then installed a plywood bottom at the underside of those cross members, this provides an inset for the saw. I then took the short removed 2x6 front rail and installed another plywood topon that piece the width sand depth of the inset. Oh and I held my side plywood tops to the center of the cross rails leaving a lipon top. Now I can remove my saw and slide this extra L piece in the inset for a full benchtop when the need arises. I also cut those 2x6 cross rails to the same height as my miter box (minus the plywood top), so that my miterbox and plywoodsides are at the same height. As for overall height, I suggest a comfortable working height so you don't get the hunch back syndrome, mines likely higher than most but it's what I like. I installed a plywood mid shelf on mine and sized it to allow for flip top storage containers for easily use. My overall height is around 48 inches iirc, I like being able to easily see my pencil cut marks... I think most are less, like 36-42 range. Also think about if you plan on using a high top Stool or not.... I suggest holding your hand out in front of you in open air to visualize and experiment with what feels and looks good to you as oppressed to a suggested height given your making it custom for you.

Also check out peg board, you can use it on the rear wall with all sorts of organizational hangers, just be sure to install it with spacers of the wall so you can insertand reposition those hangers at will. I temporarily taped some steel nuts on the backside and screwed right through them into the wall studs.

Thanks for the info. That will help give me ideas.

billdogg
07/27/2017, 02:41 PM
I like lots of storage. I made mine (8'x30") by using ready made kitchen cabinets as most of the base, but reinforced them with plywood. All told, I have 12 drawers and 2 large openings for bigger stuff. The top is laminated 2x4's that I then planed smooth and topped with inlayed MDF for a baby-butt smooth work surface that can easily be replaced when it gets too nasty. It's about 10 years old now with the original top. You can pound on it with a sledge hammer and it doesn't budge. I've got a metal working vice on one end, a woodworking vice on the other, and a whole sheet of pegboard in back for hanging tools. But then I've got pegboard in many places around the shop (different workstations, different tools).

IMHO, you can't hardly go wrong with bigger, stronger workbenches. You most certainly can go wrong if it is too small or too flimsy.

ericarenee
07/27/2017, 06:44 PM
i use a very old Folding table with a 3/4 piece of High Impact board for the top. The frame of the table will twist but has adjustable feet on all 4 corners. The impact board makes a perfect flat surface.
Of course mine needs to fold up and fit out of the way in my Van. My Miter saw and Table saw are both on there own Fold out stand with wheels.

davocean
07/27/2017, 09:24 PM
So many ways, but I have to say a slab door on saw horses is quick easy and versatile.
I use my miter saw pretty much daily, that I like a long board for trim as they usually run 16', so depending on where I may be working/building I just throw that on horses(usually) or that could even be placed on the slab door depending length of your run, and I clamp down w/ Irwin's or screw it down, this way my work bench space is versatile, but yeah, I do like solid built work benches like ones posted in pics too.
You can never have enough bench and bench options as long as you have enough garage!

SFish
07/28/2017, 03:52 PM
Well da m if I didn't want a work bench before now I really want one. The only down side is I need to clean the garage ; (

billdogg
07/28/2017, 05:36 PM
Well da m if I didn't want a work bench before now I really want one. The only down side is I need to clean the garage ; (

Nah - mine's in the basement :beer:

Clowning_Around
07/28/2017, 05:37 PM
Well da m if I didn't want a work bench before now I really want one. The only down side is I need to clean the garage ; (Lol but seriously, so useful.

BigDave
07/28/2017, 06:33 PM
Well da m if I didn't want a work bench before now I really want one. The only down side is I need to clean the garage ; (I got more tools last weekend. I'm having to build a garden shed so I can finish out my garage shop

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

SFish
07/28/2017, 07:14 PM
Nah - mine's in the basement :beer:

Don't have one

; $

WLachnit
07/29/2017, 10:03 AM
Here are a couple of pics of mine. Not the best pics since I was actually photographing my sump but hopefully you get the idea. As I said in earlier post, my top is same height as my tablesaw and I used a solid core door slab for the top. I got drawers from Lee Valley tools online and I installed a couple of power strips on either side to have close easy access to power.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170729/87e17226d266a142bd02be50dee0ccbd.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170729/acbbe98c3e56f406c63bb3103f46de4e.jpg

SFish
07/29/2017, 09:46 PM
Nice

FamilyTank
07/30/2017, 02:14 PM
Need help keeping the garage clean, eliminate any horizontal surface otherthan where the tool belongs. Horizontal=let me set this here.......

SFish
07/30/2017, 05:56 PM
Need help keeping the garage clean, eliminate any horizontal surface otherthan where the tool belongs. Horizontal=let me set this here.......

It's not so much that. It's been turned into a kids play area for a few summers and I have stuff in there that I need to get rid of (e waste ect).