PDA

View Full Version : Blue lip tang after feeding

cnctech
07/25/2017, 11:29 AM
We have a 6" blue lip tang that has problems with buoyancy after he eats. Foxface, hippo and others are all OK.

Is it possibly that we are overfeeding. It seems he constantly gulps air when he feeds and his stomach looks distended after eating...but again the rest are fine.

We feed formula 2 flakes.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

andywar
07/25/2017, 11:42 AM
We have a 6" blue lip tang that has problems with buoyancy after he eats. Foxface, hippo and others are all OK.

Is it possibly that we are overfeeding. It seems he constantly gulps air when he feeds and his stomach looks distended after eating...but again the rest are fine.

We feed formula 2 flakes.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

BobWhy don't you try frozen food, e.g. Reef Frenzy + algae pellets from Hickory. That is what my tangs eat and seem happy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cnctech
07/25/2017, 11:48 AM
I can certainly try it - does the frozen food sink - thinking that if they eat sunk food or lower in the tank - less likely to get air.

MondoBongo
07/25/2017, 12:24 PM
when i feed flake i will let is soak in water for a few seconds, then squirt it in to the tank with a small plastic dropper i cut a wider tip on.

that way, it's ready to sink right away, and you can keep the fish from gulping air as they feed.

andywar
07/25/2017, 12:52 PM
I can certainly try it - does the frozen food sink - thinking that if they eat sunk food or lower in the tank - less likely to get air.Yes frozen food sinks. Frozen food also generates less waste than flakes or regular pellets.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk