PDA

View Full Version : Calcium reactor

scuzy
07/25/2017, 11:52 AM
Would adding a third chamber help with excess co2 lowering pH?

I have a dual chamber already just thought my ph is a bit low in tank even with the second chamber.

Fitzreefer
07/25/2017, 01:20 PM
What range is your pH running at and was it running low prior to adding the reactor?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Martin Kuhn
07/25/2017, 03:36 PM
Your reactor is powered by CO2 lowering the ph within the reactor in order to do its job which is diluting CalciumCarbonates

The outflowing water is containing carbonate but of course having then also the ph from within the reactor (typically six point something)

As the outflow is with a very low flowrate, this doesn't lower the ph within the tank too much

An option to "raise the ph" of the outflowing water&carbonates: don't directly pump it in the tanks water, but "let it flow over something to get direct content with surrounding oxygene". CO2 will vanish into the air and the ph of the Ca reactor outflow goes up again

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

bertoni
07/25/2017, 06:11 PM
I am skeptical about a third canister, assuming the second canister is of reasonable size. More aeration might help if the tank's pH is a bit low. What is the level in the tank? In some cases, the carbon dioxide in the air dominates the effect from the reactor, so there's little to gain from aeration or changing the reactor.

scuzy
07/25/2017, 07:11 PM
7.8-8.0

bertoni
07/25/2017, 07:34 PM
That's a fairly common range for a tank in a house. I wouldn't worry about it, but you could try adding a bit of aeration to see whether that improves the situation. Sometimes that helps. Making sure that the skimmer is clean and foaming well, and that the water surface is film-free sometimes helps, too, although that's fairly rare.

scuzy
07/25/2017, 07:59 PM
Ok I was just worry it dips under 7.8 in some rare instances.

bertoni
07/25/2017, 10:47 PM
I think that's fairly normal, and I'd just ignore it.

Fitzreefer
07/26/2017, 08:23 AM
I asked if it was running in this range before adding the Ca reactor in order to eliminate it as a possible source of subdued pH. If it was already in this range then it is possibly due do CO2 in the air of the home environment. That range is not particularly bad as already stated. If you want to bring it up some, an outside air intake or CO2 scrubber added to your skimmer intake could help. I was running a similar range with a single chamber reactor and the outside air intake has my pH averaging 8.2 now. However, I would be taking steps to verify whether the pH is actual being impacted by the reactor before taking a course of action. Try some extra aeration, etc as suggested first. Do the cup of water with aeration test, inside outside of the home. These things can lead you in right direction before taking more aggressive measures. I don't think a 3rd chamber is the answer regardless.

scuzy
07/26/2017, 10:08 AM
Without the carx my pH will rise to 8.1-8.2

Fitzreefer
07/26/2017, 10:20 AM
Ok. Then that speaks more to the impact of the reactor. How big is your sump, multiple compartments, fuge, etc. Where is you effluent entering the sump?

Fitzreefer
07/26/2017, 10:22 AM
Also, how is pH checked / monitored?

scuzy
07/26/2017, 11:33 AM
pH checked by word double junction probe. I drop efluent in the sump entry where skimmer is and pH is monitor in there return section. It's a trigger elite 39 sump. I don't have a huge as it's filled with marine pure blocks and I have a small chunk of chaeto. Also I have a fairly large chaeto reactor external to sump.

five.five-six
07/26/2017, 12:07 PM
Try this, set your controler to shut off the Co2 solenoid under 8.0 and on over 8.1 then get a small aqualifter pump and set the controller to have it pump kalkwasser below 8.0 and shut off at 8.1 Those set points are just for example, you can play arround with them but you can achieve super saturated Ca and kh and very stable Ph with that method.

Fitzreefer
07/26/2017, 04:03 PM
I have my effluent entering at the skimmer area as well, just downstream from the skimmer, before fuge section (I'm running a large trigger systems tideline sump). There is a little bit surface movement there due to outflow of skimmer (I suspect this helps off gas). I've heard of some people modifying the skimmer to drip in the skimmer in order to help off-gas, not suggesting that though. My pH monitor is located in the same section but closer to the outflow of the filter socks, just before skimmer. It should be doing a decent job of monitoring the water returning from the tank at this placement. I assume you already checked calibration on the monitor. Maybe try a different placement, or even in the DT just for verification. Also, what is your reactor chamber or effluent pH level?

scuzy
07/27/2017, 01:32 AM
Wonder if I should pipe my effluent into the intake of my chaeto reactor?

Fitzreefer
07/27/2017, 07:59 AM
Put your pH monitoring probe in the display tank first as a test to make sure you are not getting a false reading due to your current location which is downstream from the reactor(you said it was in the return pump section...right?). If it reads higher in the DT, then possibly relocate it as close to the filter socks as possible in the sump, upstream from the effluent line. Also, what is the pH of your reactor chamber or effluent? Anything below 6.5 could turn your media to mush and you could be applying too much CO2.

ca1ore
07/27/2017, 09:36 AM
I run a triple chamber CaRx, but the third chamber is actually the first in the flow to ensure complete dissolution of the CO2 (it is filled with bioballs). I use reborn in the large, second reaction chamber and then ARM fine in the third 'scrubber' chamber. pH in the main chamber is 6.4 nominally; pH of the effluent is 7.2 nominally. I send the effluent line upstream of my chaeto refugium. My tank runs 8.1-8.2 during the day and 7.9-8.0 at night. I do not find the CaRx to change this materially. I also find futzing with the skimmer (either by using a fresh air feed or a Co2 scrubber) to be ineffective. I do run kalk as a way to help to boost pH. Mostly I just don't worry about it anymore.

bertoni
07/27/2017, 03:02 PM
That pH difference is small, but routing the output of the reactor to the Chaetomorpha sounds easy enough that it might be worth a shot. There's no guarantee as to how well it'd work. If you could add more flow or water surface movement in the algae chamber, that might help a bit as well.

Fitzreefer
07/28/2017, 06:56 PM
Scuzy, if you read my suggestions carefully you will understand that I am recommending to verify a few things first before futzing. Just make sure it isn't something simple before making a bigger change like adding a 3rd chamber. If you can't seem to resolve it, something like outside air to the skimmer is an easy and effective remedy. There are several threads on this. Proof chamber https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170728/a08e995fa97db5c083347963b3d6dfb8.jpg Tankhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170728/02dfe093d1adab25a3c4c7222fd3c10b.jpg at 7:50 PM on 7/28, and I have a single chamber. My tank doesn't go below 8.0 anymore (usually runs in the 8.1 - 8.3 range), but used to run in the same range you are running (below 8.0).

Fitzreefer
07/28/2017, 07:21 PM
Also, I run zero Kalk.

scuzy
07/30/2017, 01:26 AM
I'll give it a shot in the upstream and see.

Currently I made a mod and piped my effluent into my chaeto reactor.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170730/0ba20b0a468d17510a59e8c64498f991.jpg

Fitzreefer
07/30/2017, 09:42 AM
That's pretty cool. I am interested to see the results.

Fitzreefer
08/06/2017, 10:21 AM
Btw:. This is a good article about pH. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/#a