PDA

View Full Version : Nutrient Question while Fallow

Scubabum
07/26/2017, 06:47 PM
I started a Red Sea Reefer 525xl about 3 months ago. Had an outbreak of Marine Velvet. Removed all fish and are in QT. I was able to save most of them. Since the tank has been Fallow my Nitrate and Phosphate have bottomed out to ZERO. I've been feeding coral 3-4 times a week with Reef Roids, Reef Chili, LRS Frenzy and some blended meaty foods. I'm still reading ZERO. A few of my Zoa's are dying and I'm starting to see some slight fading in my LPS and SPS. Prior to removing fish my Nitrate was between 1-2 ppm and phos was at .03. I'm still running my skimmer and Algae Reactor. Not sure if I should shut them down. Any suggestions on getting my numbers up a bit while main display remains fallow??? I have 56 days to go. Thanks in advance.

bertoni
07/27/2017, 02:00 PM
You could consider adding more food. Cutting back on the lighting for the algae might help, if that's easy to do. Running the lights for fewer hours per day should cut back on photosynthesis. I'd probably just up the amount of food, personally, but I'm lazy.

Scubabum
07/28/2017, 05:52 AM
You could consider adding more food. Cutting back on the lighting for the algae might help, if that's easy to do. Running the lights for fewer hours per day should cut back on photosynthesis. I'd probably just up the amount of food, personally, but I'm lazy.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like a plan. I'll start by upping the feeding.