PDA

View Full Version : Hello Hello!

BoulderReefer
07/26/2017, 10:00 PM
Ok, I just need to preface that I have been reading the forum up and down and I have a feeling I may get roasted... However I have a great pal and a great shop in town walking me through the knowledge curve Ive been going through.

5 gal nano with a center rock structure with some caverns. Cycled for a month. Two small percs that were together in shop tank for two months prior and a rose bubble tip(RBT?) went in first. Female immediately went to RBT and began the host process. Its still hers a month later. The dominance dance has been going on pretty big recently. My male now hides within the cavern at times. Reading this is normal as his pectoral fin is a bit nippy as of late but when the lights go off he seems welcome to join in the anemone. Which is very cool to see. Im letting them work things out unless she finds his hidey hole and may try and help him out in some way.

Ok theres more. Im trying to practice patience... Next addition was a harlequin shrimp. Who Im now feeding pieces of a frozen choco star. Felt bad for the freeze but oh well. He seems good and holds his own towards inquisitive clowns. Fun watching him/her hunt down the stars.

Next, My local shop had a white cap goby and pistol pair. Again, I have been practicing patience however these two were in a small side tank with no quality of life for 2 plus years. So, I decided to save them. Pistol immediately took to carving out the sand under of my rock while my goby ended up in my back reservoir after one night! Saved him out of there and he now seems content in guarding his caverns. Ive heard I need a lid...Either way all seems happy there. (Outside of my pistol snapping at the clown who hides in their cavern. I can hear it!)

Now. Algae. Purple stuff. I think my lighting may be to bright with the addition of so much to a small ecosystem. I moved my light up and have been cutting down its time as I do get good natural light. Slowly getting better.

Getting better also with the addition of two snails and three hermit crabs.

As I write this everything seems happy. Have been figuring out the feeding cycle for everyone. My anemone is a finicky little B. I started off feeding him to keep him happy and in place but now have backed off.

Anyways Here are some photos and any advice or critiques are welcome. I plan to do some thought out coral structure going forward and just being PATIENT.

Thanks,

Jake(BoulderReefer)

Ryan Darilek
07/26/2017, 10:33 PM
Hey Jake! Sounds like you already figured out that this hobby is awesome and addicting! :)
So, a couple of things... A lot of times, smaller tanks can be more difficult than a larger on. Consistency is one of the biggest keys to success in a reef aquarium and frankly in a small tank, this is difficult because even a small deviation makes a huge difference considering the total volume of water. So be careful, especially with water changes... It is imparative that your salinity and temp are spot on with the water in the tank. Also, you may already know this... But you are heavily stocked if not over stocked considering the size of the tank, so adding anything more likely won't turn out well for you. Good luck man. I see a bigger tank in your near future!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk