PDA

View Full Version : Ick NO MORE???

peejay
07/28/2017, 11:28 AM
Hello fellow reefers,

A bit of my tank info :) I have 215 gal tank and i can say that i don't have much fishes in my tank. I have 1 Yellow tang, 1 Sailfin tang, 2 Clown fishes, 4 blue Damsels, 1 lawnmower Blenny, 1 mandarin Gobby, 2 blue dots Gobby, 2 Fire fihes and some inverts...

The situation is, i HAD ick problem like months ago. Beside to the fishes mentioned above, i had Powder Brown Tang and he was so beautiful. Fist i thought the ick that was attached to him will just fall off and he will be ok since it is know for most of tangs to get ick specially when they are stress. But as days goes by, it bothers me more and more that my other fishes will be affected. So, i decided to remove him and quarantine him. Sadly, he didn't make it. too much stress and he got way too much ick.

Now, after i removed him, i tried to inspect all my fishes everyday (until now) if they are getting ick since the fish that was full of ick was gone that the ick might attached to other fishes as source of food since the brown tang is gone. and I'm happy to say that, until now a month after, i can see that my fishes are healthy and they didn't changed a bit. No ick, no white spots, no itching. NOTHING. They eat well and all of them acts as they are.

So, now I'm wondering if my tank is now ick free? i read some threads before that after you remove the fish with ick and after that you didn't see more ick after a period of time, it means the tank is ick free.

I know the cycle, i have been reading a lot about ick. its just this situation that i really cant figure out. If the ick has no host, in time it will die.

I hope that my tank is ick free. :beer:

I appreciate all comments.

Thanks guys,
peejay

Mishri
07/28/2017, 03:23 PM
It can live in the gills of the fish and you wont see symptoms. Unless you remove all fish for 72-90 days and kill the parasite with medication or by interrupting it's life cycle using Tank Transfer method. Which requires moving the fish to a new sterile tank every 72 hours or less for 12 days or more.

Then.. you likely still have ick in your system and it will occasionally appear visibly. Fish can also gain temporary immunity, their immune system will fight them off.

peejay
07/28/2017, 03:32 PM
It can live in the gills of the fish and you wont see symptoms. Unless you remove all fish for 72-90 days and kill the parasite with medication or by interrupting it's life cycle using Tank Transfer method. Which requires moving the fish to a new sterile tank every 72 hours or less for 12 days or more.

Then.. you likely still have ick in your system and it will occasionally appear visibly. Fish can also gain temporary immunity, their immune system will fight them off.

Thats the one im wondering at. If the ick need host and yes they live in gills as well, then according to the cycle they will fall off then re attached again in multiple number, but now i cant see any symptoms and the only thing im hoping for is that since they cant attached to the fishes they will die off sonner or later.

Mishri
07/28/2017, 11:56 PM
unlikely... some fish might not appear infected, but they go into the gills, feed.. reproduce.. eventually you'll see sign again.. could be a few months or a year.

dxdoan
07/31/2017, 08:46 AM
Just because you can't see white spot doesn't mean you don't have the parasite cryptocaryon irritans. Since you have seen them previously there are probably many stages of its life cycle in your tank .
Such as a cyst in your sandbed, free swimming and or trophont stage where it attaches to your fish.
Sorry to give you the bad news but you have the parasite in your tank.
You have the option now to either manage it or eliminate it.