PDA

View Full Version : Fresh saltwater at 12 alkalinity!

Sohal Tang Tim
07/29/2017, 09:14 PM
I have alk at 12 for freshly mixed reef crystals salt... I know this because my tank is at 12 so I thought I would text the freshly mixed batch of saltwater.

What the heck is going on I wonder???

Is it the salt? or other?

The water is at 78 degrees same as tank....

I thought it might be the cheap API test kit that I have used for 15 years and never had a problem with so I bought another one..it measures same as the one I had that was about a year old....

???? Stumped!!! Any guesses?

Thx, Tim. I am thinking will change the cartridges on RO unit but...I dont think that is it either....perplexed.

bertoni
07/29/2017, 09:39 PM
That sounds about right for Reef Crystals. That's about what most people report for it.

Sohal Tang Tim
07/29/2017, 09:49 PM
ALK of 12 is too high is it not? How do I get that down?

Thx
Tim

Potatohead
07/29/2017, 11:16 PM
It's on the high end but it's not really too high unless you are trying to keep a very low nutrient system and/or carbon dosing.

Sohal Tang Tim
07/30/2017, 04:56 AM
I want the nutrients low enough to keep sps....

So...then what?

Thx

Tim

mcgyvr
07/30/2017, 07:01 AM
Its normal for reef crystals..
Switch salts if you don't like it
Go with regular IO instead..

But its really about stability more than any one specific number for alk..

With RC though your tank is normally lower due to consumption,etc... I currently use RC and my tanks alk is around 9.. Water changes with the higher alk just help replenish that alk and I don't have to dose as much.. But I do get some alk swings on occasion when/if I do larger water changes for one reason or another
With that said I'm setting up a new tank now and am switching back to regular IO salt so I can keep levels "more stable"

Breadman03
07/30/2017, 07:39 AM
If desired, I think you can use muriatic acid to lower the alkalinity.

scuzy
07/30/2017, 09:40 AM
Reason I switched to fritz it's where I want my parameters to be.

outssider
07/30/2017, 04:29 PM
high 10's to high 12's is what I expect from RC. I keep my tank at 7-7.5 dkh. On water change day I dose slightly less alk. In a mature reef tank with lots of coralline algae and sps it's using a lot of alk constantly, the increase from a high alk water change is negligible.

bertoni
07/30/2017, 05:48 PM
Many tanks are fine with the alkalinity at that level. If your corals start to have problems, switching salts would be the easiest approach. You also could stop dosing alkalinity for a while and let the level drop on its own. For water changes, you could use muriatic acid to neutralize some of the alkalinity in the tank, although muriatic acid requires careful handling. If the water changes are small, the effect on the alkalinity will be small, and you could stop dosing alkalinity until the level dropped back down to your target.

Sohal Tang Tim
07/31/2017, 10:30 AM
MY Ph is at 8.53 with a freshly calibrated PH Monitor...

?

should I panic?

Thx
TIm

ph 8.5 Alk 13

I am reving on redline...I just bought new salt - went back to instant ocean for the first time in 10 years! here goes nothing.....
What about the ph Bertoni? Thanks for your help.

crawlerman
07/31/2017, 11:34 AM
What were the levels before the water change? It is the swing that will do damage. What is your salinity and what are you measuring it with?

DivingTheWorld
07/31/2017, 03:20 PM
should I panic?

No, never panic. Rapid changes are the worst thing you can do. IMO, I would stop dosing and let your Alk slowly drop to where you want it. Going forward, you can either start using a lower Alk salt (like RS Blue Bucket) or adjust your water change water to meet your needs.

I find a lot of people in this hobby who test their tanks regularly but very few who test their water change water for more than just salinity. I recommend testing at the bare minimum for Salinity, Mag, Alk, Cal. Nitrate should always be 0 and Phosphate generally low so neither really need to be tested.

Even the best salts can vary with each mix which is why I just use plain old IO and adjust the big 3 to match my tank.

homer1475
07/31/2017, 03:43 PM
Even the best salts can vary with each mix which is why I just use plain old IO and adjust the big 3 to match my tank.

I just started doing this after a bad batch of RC that killed all my acans. Best thing I have done for my tank recently.

With regular IO I'm finding I only need to add a small amount of CAL, and very little muriatic acid to bring down the ALK. MAG is right in line where I like it at 1350.

I keep my tank very stable at 420 CAL, 8.5DKH ALK, and 1350 MAG.

Sohal Tang Tim
07/31/2017, 04:26 PM
Ph is now 8.6
Alk is 13

Ph was 8.4 yesterday morning
Alk was 13 yesterday morning

I am mixing new Instant Ocean tonite and going to put in a little less salt maybe .023 and bring down my salinity very slowly which should reduce the ALK I am hoping....

Make sense?

Tim

bertoni
07/31/2017, 05:10 PM
I think that the reduction in salinity is far more dangerous than the high alkalinity. I would leave the SG as is. If you are very worried, muriatic acid could be used to reduce the alkalinity of the water that you are using for changes.

Sohal Tang Tim
07/31/2017, 05:46 PM
Thanks Bertoni....I have dropped the salinity only down to .0245 so very little drop....it did not appear to drop the ph as of yet....and that's as far as I will drop the salinity.... I will do a water change with the new Instant Ocean salt and see what happens....

I have NEVER in all my years of reefing had alkalinity problems like I Have in the past year...my alk was always between 8-9 like solid constant...now
I had high alk a year ago and again now...Big Als told me that Reer Crystals is using extra buffer as they expect reefers to have it drop with nutrients but my tank is very very low bio load so...I guess there is nothing happening to make the ALK drop ...so....maybe when I add an extra fish or two lolol Dunno...

Will monitor it but I wont let the ph go any higher....it is at 8.6...should I leave it and just do the water change with the new Instant Ocean Salt Bertoni? Thanks,

Tim

Oiler3535
07/31/2017, 09:08 PM
Good thread for me to read. Just starting up my tank and ignorant of most parameters. Just cycled (ammonia <.25, Nitrite 0 after being off the charts for 2 weeks, and Nitrates 10-20), and tested my Dkh as 13. Did it twice and almost 12, but probably 13. pH is 8.2 and salt is 1.026. Haven't added any fish yet, but alk of 12-13 not too worrisome? No corals for many months until established with fish.

Potatohead
07/31/2017, 10:32 PM
Good thread for me to read. Just starting up my tank and ignorant of most parameters. Just cycled (ammonia <.25, Nitrite 0 after being off the charts for 2 weeks, and Nitrates 10-20), and tested my Dkh as 13. Did it twice and almost 12, but probably 13. pH is 8.2 and salt is 1.026. Haven't added any fish yet, but alk of 12-13 not too worrisome? No corals for many months until established with fish.

Not a problem. Without coral though you don't need your salinity so high, you could bring it down to 1.022 or so which will also lower your alkalinity. If you decide you want corals later you can bring it back up over the course of a week or two.

Sohal Tang Tim
08/01/2017, 05:37 AM
Potato I *have* corals in there already...they have been in for a month.
The tank is about 2-3 months old...but cycled very fast all ingredients from other tank took down.

Tim

DivingTheWorld
08/01/2017, 09:07 AM
One quick note for anyone planning to try Muriatic Acid. It's super simple to drop Alk that way but don't do it in your display. Not only is the acid caustic, but it will plummet your pH.

Add it to your water change water, then run an airstone in the water for 1-2 days which will bring the pH back up before you add it to your display.

Also, always wear protective gear (goggles, gloves) when using and only use in a well ventilated area!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2558025&highlight=alkalinity+muriatic+acid

Potatohead
08/01/2017, 09:08 AM
Potato I *have* corals in there already...they have been in for a month.
The tank is about 2-3 months old...but cycled very fast all ingredients from other tank took down.

Tim

Sorry, I was responding to the guy I quoted. Didn't mean to hijack.

Sohal Tang Tim
08/01/2017, 09:41 AM
oops..np.

Tim
:-)

Sohal Tang Tim
08/01/2017, 09:42 AM
no muriatic acid for me.

I have changed salts to a lesser alk salt and hopefully I can bring
the ph and alk down that way... I am reving on the red line...

ph is 8.5/8.6 by 7pm

alk is 12

so....I am JUSSST SAFE I THINK lol

animals so far are ok ...

Sohal Tang Tim
08/01/2017, 09:54 AM
Now that I have an amazing skimmer...I wonder if I took a wizzz in the tank if the ph and alk would drop? oloololooahohaohaohaoha

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

:beer: