PDA

View Full Version : Ph ?

BigT75
07/30/2017, 11:42 AM
Ok I have a 75g tall been running few months I added fish and all is good water tests are at good numbers but the last couple weeks the nitrates went from 0 to 20 on the strip tests and ph went to 7.4-7.6 I can't get it up and nitrates down what do you guys advise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ztous
07/30/2017, 02:03 PM
Test Salinity and the big three Alk, Calcium and Magnesium. There are a few variables to where your Ph will rest and you need to understand what's going on before you start adjusting. Poor gas exchange comes to mind for a possible cause as well.

As for the nitrates feed less, run a skimmer, start changing more water again lots of ways to reduce nitrates. For fish and most corals 20ppm nitrate is fine.

Lots of information is available in stickies in the new to the hobby section.

jda
07/30/2017, 04:23 PM
On PH, just keep alk stable and don't worry about it. Ever. Seriously. Ever.

It will take up to a year for your nitrates to start to get handled by the tank when the anoxic bacteria get established. This is assuming that you have a few inches of sand and real live rock. If you are barebottom, then your tank might never be able to hand nitrates. If you used dry/dead rock, then it could take up to two years for that rock to be effective contributor to the tank. In any case, this is more than a few-month process.