PDA

View Full Version : Should I be concerned with this hammer?

Wurlitzer
07/30/2017, 08:01 PM
Sorry if this question gets asked all the time. I have tried looking through the threads to find an answer and haven't come up with much. Anyway I bought this single head hammer coral yesterday at LFS. It was quite opened up in the store and today it has only opened partially as you can see in the pic. It's been about 24 hours so not sure if this is to be expected with it acclimating or if I should be adjusting its position in the tank. So far I haven't touched it for fear of stressing it more. i have it positioned in a pretty low flow area towards the bottom of a 12 gallon tank with a kessil a80 at full intensity

Nitrates are at 5, temp is 76, salinity 1.025. I do not have other parameters but this is one of only two corals in the tank with a single clown, so I figure there should be plenty of calcium etc. and I do weekly 3 gallon water changes, chemipure elite and I'm running a skimmer. Tank has been up for 5 months

Thanks for any advice. Hoping it's just a matter of time for it to get adjusted. But if it's not normal I'd rather intervene now

Wiskey
07/30/2017, 10:22 PM
I don't know,.. I think 24 hours is a little soon to do anything. I'd give it a few days.

Corals will typically stay closed with too much light, way too much flow, very young tank, parasites, or perams way out of wack. I'm really not sure about is your light level because I have not used that light. If it were me I would give it a week or so, then try moving it to a more shaded area to see if that helps.

Whiskey

Wurlitzer
07/31/2017, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the reply! It is definitely more open this morning so I am going to take your advice and leave it be. I did back off on the light a little.

Rtdrumz
07/31/2017, 12:41 PM
I have a hammer that likes living in a shadow of rock and another that wants to be in the top 1/3 ... if the LFS had it in lower light then that may be what is going on. Give him some time to adjust to the new environment

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wurlitzer
08/02/2017, 08:19 AM
Definitely looking happier. It seems to like the kessil A80 at full blast, I had it at about 50% yesterday and it was closed up when I got home, cranked up the light and it fluffed right out.

Thanks again for the advice, hopefully I'm finally getting this guy dialed in

ozmosis7
08/17/2017, 07:52 AM
Looks much better.