PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Albertan_Reef
07/31/2017, 01:42 AM
Today the last 2 of my fish died due to velvet, it wiped my whole tank out over this last month. My tank was happy, corals flourishing, all my fish fat and happy, then out of no where my lion fish died, then it was fishh after fish. 6 green chromis, 2 clowns, 1 damsel, 1 mandarin goby, yellow tang and a pipe fish gone within days.

I moved my last 2 fosh, my scribbled rabbit fiah and a yellow tang, to quarantine using cupramine. Over the course of 3 weeks thibgs improved. Then tonight things took a turn for the worst. Went down atairs and checked on them and both covered in velvet, lifeless in the QT tank. Im heart broken and so is my wife.

What are the next steps to take? To prevent this again and also get it oyt of my tank.

The lion fish is the only fish i didnt buy at my regular store, and clearly the cause of the out break, but i QT all my fish before adding then into my display.

How will i get it out of my display, so i can move on and restock? My rabbit fish is definitely the hardest loss to me, he was like a puppy dog and would do tricks for food. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170731/1f0c82ba147a337d5d1d9bf928282002.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170731/b22525789b507fb141babb35a43d7735.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170731/82309a430ad819b131b7ae00a8b24ff1.jpg

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

juanmanuelsanch
07/31/2017, 11:35 AM
Leave the main tank fishless for 90 days, that will take care of velvet and ich. In the mean time, you can prepare a QT tank (2 actually) one for fish other for corals and invertebrates.

I know its hard, I was in the same position as you.

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT PUT anything on your main tank without quarantine.

Albertan_Reef
07/31/2017, 12:32 PM
Leave the main tank fishless for 90 days, that will take care of velvet and ich. In the mean time, you can prepare a QT tank (2 actually) one for fish other for corals and invertebrates.

I know its hard, I was in the same position as you.

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT PUT anything on your main tank without quarantine.Thank you. I have 2 qt tanks. I was told by the store i bought the lion fish that they cant be treated with copper, and they also dont carry the disease. So i put it in my big tank.

juanmanuelsanch
07/31/2017, 12:36 PM
Thank you. I have 2 qt tanks. I was told by the store i bought the lion fish that they cant be treated with copper, and they also dont carry the disease. So i put it in my big tank.

Sent from my LG-H831 using TapatalkI can't say but I think all fished and even invertebrates can carry the disease, it will pretty much depend on what phase of the life cycle it's in.

Sorry for your losses and don't give up

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Albertan_Reef
07/31/2017, 12:39 PM
I wont be giving up. Love the hobby to much, and have to much time and money into it over the lastb3 years

JustinM
07/31/2017, 07:57 PM
Fallow for velvet is 6 weeks but you might as well do 76-90 to insure everything is gone and this won't happen again.

It's weird they died though, was cupramine at therapeutic levels the whole time? Sometimes secondary bacterial infections will take the fish after a velvet outbreak because of all the bite marks. It is never a bad idea to run antibiotics in conjunction with cupramine.

Sorry for you loss!