PDA

View Full Version : New idea to hang cabinet doors...

Smokey Stover
07/31/2017, 10:41 AM
So I need to do a quick stand build (will get to why in another long post soon)
Anyways, While I'm at it, I have what may or may not be a good outside the box idea.

I'm thinking of using something like File Cabinet, Drawer Glides, The heavy duty 100# kind with ball bearings, Mounted horizontally top and bottom of door panel to have doors that slide open/closed. they also have rubber bumper stops. Being sandwiched between door panel and cabinet they will have some protection from salt corrosion, And they're easy enough to replace if/when needed.

There would have to be a notch or groove in the cabinet side panels, But might not look too bad.

Anybody ever try something like this? Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Damn, will need to resize photos, But its looking very good and solid so far.

fifthtoe
07/31/2017, 10:51 AM
I've seen this done before in multiple applications, including fish tank stands. I think the ball bearing glides require a little more precision when mounted, so they slide smoothly, but this should be a good idea to prevent rusty hinges. There also might be a little sag when fully opened, but that shouldn't really matter.

Post some pics when you're done

Smokey Stover
07/31/2017, 11:09 AM
So far so good,

Smokey Stover
07/31/2017, 11:24 AM
Thanks fifthtoe, They shouldn't sag any more than a drawer full of files when open and they can even be separated/removed from the cabinet like a drawer for major work/cleaning inside.(I think)
I think I'm gonna go for it, Wont hurt much to try. Gotta get my hands on em to know.

I'll add I'm doing all this in my laundry room and outside with basic hand tools,
Miter saw, Skill saw, Belt sander, Biscuit joiner,lol.
But it is square and very solid/stable.

mcgyvr
07/31/2017, 12:34 PM
So this is so the front doors slide left/right to open right?
So long as you keep the drawer glides in the proper orientation (wider dimension going vertical) it will work just fine..

They have little strength in this direction (wider dimension horizontal)
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/7e/7e926fc2-7d63-4389-b962-480403656db2_1000.jpg

I'm actually using some drawer glides in my current stand build but its for 2 slide out sections on each side to store electronics and testing/chemicals on the other side..

fifthtoe
07/31/2017, 12:56 PM
I think the slides are available in different thicknesses too. Might be something to consider as this might increase/decrease the gap between the door and cabinet.

Smokey Stover
07/31/2017, 12:58 PM
Thanks mcgyvr, Just got back from Lowes, Those are the same ones I got.
Looks like they will work well as long as I get them perfectly parallel to each other the door and the cabinet. Stay tuned for more photos probably tomorrow. Monsoon passing through today.

Smokey Stover
07/31/2017, 01:04 PM
I think the slides are available in different thicknesses too. Might be something to consider as this might increase/decrease the gap between the door and cabinet.

I got the thinnest ones that have full extension, Really nice heavy duty. The doors are only about 7lbs. Solid panel. Will install a rail to mount on as close with as little gap as possible. or a notch for it in the side panel. Should help keep the panels from twisting before stain and finnish. Gonna play with it a little while now and see what
happens lol

Smokey Stover
08/01/2017, 08:32 PM
I only had a couple hours to work on the stand today. The Drawer Glides fit perfectly. I got lucky too. I bought the 18" ones and they are actually 17 3/4" Whew, the stand is 35 1/2
Used my 30year old trusty Porter Cable plunge router, Which I store in an old file cabinet, Thats where I got to thinking about using them for door glides lol.
I'm pretty happy with the way they will look when finnished. Changing design in the middle of a project doesn't always work out. They look like I planned it from the start.:thumbsup:

mcgyvr
08/02/2017, 05:40 AM
Looks nice..
I would have sprung for the soft closers though :)

everything in my new house from the cabinet doors to drawers to even the toilet seat has soft close.. I'm spoiled now..

fifthtoe
08/02/2017, 07:50 AM
That looks great! Can't wait to see it with the doors on.

Smokey Stover
08/02/2017, 08:06 AM
I might have if Lowes had them and I could have tried them there, These still have a little 3/8" bumper stop catch at the end. I usually don't slam doors/drawers anyway.
If/when I need replacements I will check some out.(Didn't even know about them TTTT)

Smokey Stover
08/02/2017, 08:16 AM
Rain might be sliding by to the north enough to try cutting doors later. Can't do any sanding inside either.
The only way I could get the wife on board (Pun Intended) was to let her choose the color. Not telling now, Have to wait and see...LOL

d0ughb0y
08/02/2017, 11:18 AM
nice job.

good thinking on using dado for the drawer slides.
I'd say you got really lucky on the length to fit exactly your stand width.

you could use some edge banding to cover the sides.

Smokey Stover
08/06/2017, 06:07 PM
Hard to get much done with the wife home all weekend. She needed to do laundry lol.