View Full Version : Leap of Fate: Jumping into the Reef Nano World

07/31/2017, 02:10 PM
Hi all,

After several years of maintaining an Nano Freshwater Planted Aquarium, I decided to build myself a Nano Reef. I decided to open this post to function as a journal.

All feedbacks are welcome if you see me doing something that can harm my tank. I want to prevent mistakes since I hate my livestocks dying on me.

Anyway, on to my tank. It is a Biocube 16 LED, same as size my Planted Freshwater Nano.

I started out with Live Rocks + Live Sand. Distilled water and Red Sea Pro Coral Salt. Lights are stock and so is the pump. I added a Hydor 240 g pump to create some wave action.

A week of cycling, and I got Ammonia and Nitrites to Zero. Nitrates are just as 2 ppm. I got no clue why this is so but I bought cured rock from my LFS so maybe that speed things up.

I converted the middle compartment into a sum. I got a submersible LED and placed a Coralife Light Add-on at the back. Also put some LR in. I added some Cheatos and after a couple of days, I doused with copepods both on display and sump.

I added CUCs. Nothing fancy, just snails. 4 Tonga Nassarius, 2 Ninja Stars, 3 Ceriths and a Turban. I didn't add them all at the same time but all were in in 1.5 weeks time. I added also a couple of hermits.

At this point I added a small Eshoppe Protein Skimmer and an air stone in the first compartment.

I then started to do a gallon water change every 2-3 days.

Started adding coral. First one in is an LFS paradivisa. After a week a couple of hammers and then a torch 6 inches away from everyone. I also added a Finger Leather coral as backdrop. I also added a purple sponge but that did not work out well. There are still some portions alive but most of the parts are dead.

Here is what the tank looks like now.

I started a schedule to feed corals once a week. I am currently using Reef Roids.

Anyway, so far so good. I am eyeing putting in some feather dusters and mushrooms next.

Thanks for reading.

07/31/2017, 07:53 PM
The picture is so small, i can't really see much. But from what i could see, it looks very nice.

07/31/2017, 07:59 PM
The picture is so small, i can't really see much. But from what i could see, it looks very nice.

Thanks! I'm new to this and have no idea how to post images. Hehehe!:rollface:

08/01/2017, 09:14 AM
I finally figured out how to make images appear.

Tank at cycling. Rocks and sand only.
Front View

Side View

As if July 31,2017

08/09/2017, 04:11 PM
It's been a month now. Few changes. Had to put purigen to help with Ammonia. Notice would get .2 ppm erratically. Also added chemipure for Phosphate. For a nano, this worked out better than i expected. My water was crystal clear.

Added a second hydor which alternates to create wave flow. All my frags opened up pretty well.

Here's my current photo

Some cons.
1. found 3 small asterinas. Kind of ignoring them for the moment.
2. Three out of 6 Nassarius Tonga died. I have no clue why. every other night i'd put a couple of thin shrimp slices which the 3 other nassarius would zero. The three that died never became active ever since I introduce them.
3. Injured head of frogspawn died. I think this was due to waterflow plus the fact it was injured when it first arrived. Prior to my wavemaker setup, flow was unidirectional. i have two heads on the frag facing opposite each other. What ever i do the, only one side would get good flow. I guess this was the reason i went and bought the wavemaker. Flow has not been a problem since.

08/09/2017, 04:16 PM