PDA

View Full Version : Clarion Angelfish Cleaner??

this is me
07/31/2017, 02:29 PM
I was watching "Shark", produced in 2015, on Netflix and at almost the end of the show, it shows a group of angelfish cleaning off the shark's skin. They look to be adult Clarion angelfish to me. But I cannot find any info on Clarion angelfish being a cleaning fish.

this is me
07/31/2017, 02:33 PM
Was able to find it on Youtube.
At 27:30, it shows a group of angelfish cleaning the Manta Ray.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axgDaz-4Fko

mike61289
07/31/2017, 02:40 PM
I was watching "Shark", produced in 2015, on Netflix and at almost the end of the show, it shows a group of angelfish cleaning off the shark's skin. They look to be adult Clarion angelfish to me. But I cannot find any info on Clarion angelfish being a cleaning fish.

Many large angels, such as the clarion and passer angels, serve as cleaners for sharks, turtles, and other large marine life ;)

CoralsAddiction
07/31/2017, 03:17 PM
Yes, I've seen angels and tangs clean sharks, sting rays and turtles. I also saw a purple tang clean a puffer fish at a LFS's display tank in LA area recently.
<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6QNRJH93Bos?ecver=2" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

this is me
07/31/2017, 03:27 PM
So are they eating the algae on the skin or parasites?

Also, after seeing all those Clarion, I'm not sure why the fish command a 5K price tag.

CoralsAddiction
07/31/2017, 03:39 PM
Also, after seeing all those Clarion, I'm not sure why the fish command a 5K price tag.

I've been told seasonal collection and permits drive the price up to about $2500 retail nowadays. It's one of my favorite angels along with Conspicuous but they do come with a high price tag.

cFloor
07/31/2017, 07:39 PM
I have not seen my clarion do this, but I do have a tiny juvenile emperor angel that cleans the other fish.

d-man
07/31/2017, 08:00 PM
I've been told seasonal collection and permits drive the price up to about $2500 retail nowadays. It's one of my favorite angels along with Conspicuous but they do come with a high price tag.

They did about >5 yrs ago. Now they have been bred by baliaquarich in Bali. They are offered for much less however still carry a nice 4 digit price tag but some(cough cough) can get them for a lil less 😉

But they really are stunning in real life. Plus you're looking at probably at least >25yr lifespan. Some pomacanthids have been known to live 70+ yrs in the wild!!!

CoralsAddiction
07/31/2017, 08:52 PM
But they really are stunning in real life. Plus you're looking at probably at least >25yr lifespan.

I really want one and wish I could keep it in a 40-50 gallon tank. Large tank has never been my thing, lol.
But if I ever did a large build it would just be my Clowns, gem tang, clarion and conspicuous, and a couple of nice wrasses.

cFloor
07/31/2017, 09:20 PM
I really want one and wish I could keep it in a 40-50 gallon tank. Large tank has never been my thing, lol.
But if I ever did a large build it would just be my Clowns, gem tang, clarion and conspicuous, and a couple of nice wrasses.

a clarion, conspic, and few nice wrasses... I like your style!

McPuff
08/01/2017, 03:55 AM
Many angels are cleaners as juveniles... it is a terrific survival strategy. I haven't seen much with adults in the wild... but I'd certainly love to view it.

mike61289
08/01/2017, 05:38 AM
So are they eating the algae on the skin or parasites?

They're picking at both.

Sharks and other large fish often have parasites hanging on them. The angels come to pick those off.

Turtles will usually have algae on their shells, which angels and tangs will come feast on. When I was diving in the Caribbean, I often saw queen angels picking algae off turtle shells. It was stunning to watch!