View Full Version : Check my params

JTL
07/31/2017, 02:37 PM
Alk 10
Ca 500
Mg 1260
Nitrate 10
Phosphates 0

A week ago Alk, Ca and Nitrate were the same but Mg was 1470. Does this look ok.
Even with 0 phosphates I am starting to get some hair algae.

mcgyvr
07/31/2017, 04:12 PM
Parameters are fine..
Stability is more important than a specific number though..

Nitrate could be lower but depending on your plans for the tank 10 is usually ok for most corals..

recommended ranges here..
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Algae growth is fueled by both nitrates and phosphates..
And its also normal in a new tank.

JTL
07/31/2017, 04:37 PM
Parameters are fine..
Stability is more important than a specific number though..

Nitrate could be lower but depending on your plans for the tank 10 is usually ok for most corals..

recommended ranges here..
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Algae growth is fueled by both nitrates and phosphates..
And its also normal in a new tank.

I did a little WC may help a little. I am using a API test kit and the ranges are pretty wide. 10ppm is the upper limit, could be less.

bertoni
07/31/2017, 05:13 PM
Those numbers are acceptable. For the hair algae, I'd probably try a bit of nutrient control. That might help with the nitrate level, as well. Another approach would be to try a bit of GFO. That sometimes works even when the phosphate level reads zero, as the GFO can outcompete the hair alga for the phosphate as it's released into the water column.

JTL
08/01/2017, 09:18 AM
I may not be diagnosing this correctly, here is a pic I start running GFO a couple of days ago. Also I may be feeding more than necessary. I only have two small fish and feed twice per day. My cuc should be here tomorrow.

bertoni
08/01/2017, 04:43 PM
That could be the beginnings of an algae bloom. Feeding twice a day is fine, but the quantity would need to be small. The cleanup crew might help, too, although they might not eat the type of algae you're getting. There's no way to predict that.