PDA

View Full Version : 1" Flex PVC into coupling with a lot of residual glue, how to remove glue?

jGrigo
07/31/2017, 03:38 PM
I have a custom PVC coupling (cannot replace) that one end with flex PVC started leaking. I removed the flex PVC to find that the initial installer only put about 1/2" of the flex into coupling due to the length of the flex PVC going in (I guess he messed up and was lazy about fixing it right). Anyway, there is now a gob of residual glue at the roughly 1/2 inch mark (they did use primer too). What is the best way to remove this so I can get my new flex fully into the coupling? ...do I need to remove it, or will more glue on top dissolve it down? I did not think it would dissolve quick enough. Thanks for any help!

sleepydoc
07/31/2017, 04:21 PM
how did you remove a cemented piece of flex PVC? PVC cement is a solvent cement, meaning it actually dissolves the PVC on both the fitting and the pipe. The two dissolved regions then 'melt' together and the solvent evaporates off. I've never heard of anyone being able to reuse a fitting before.

You could try just taking a utility knife or x-acto knife and scraping the blob off, but there's a high likelihood of the joint failing on you.

jGrigo
07/31/2017, 04:48 PM
That's what everyone has asked me. ...my best guess (besides my super human strength haha), is that it was not fully inserted and it seemed to naturally angle in vs straight line. Thus both aspects probably allowed me to remove it with some force. I was going to try that but was worried about scraping the coupling up too much. I also was considering using a dremel tool with a wire whisk wheel. ...another obstacle is I cannot see it, its facing away from me and in it somewhat of tight area. I can reach it though fine.

Clowning_Around
07/31/2017, 04:51 PM
Depending on conditions, you can sometimes reapply new solvent over the old to re melt it all but be ready to reinstall it then as well

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Clowning_Around
07/31/2017, 04:59 PM
There is one more extreme method but it is highly dangerous. You reapply solvent ignite it with a torch, let it burn off the inside for 30-60 srvomds or so till the pvc begins to become pliable and then extinguish with an extreme burst of air. No guarantees but it can work, check some youtube on it first and experiment/practice with 'replaceable' scrap fittings. But again, very dangerous and not recommended proceed at your own risk - you have been warned!

bull shark
07/31/2017, 05:27 PM
Cut the coupling out and use rambit?

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/rambit-plastic-fitting-saver-tool.html

jGrigo
07/31/2017, 05:28 PM
There is one more extreme method but it is highly dangerous. You reapply solvent ignite it with a torch, let it burn off the inside for 30-60 srvomds or so till the pvc begins to become pliable and then extinguish with an extreme burst of air. No guarantees but it can work, check some youtube on it first and experiment/practice with 'replaceable' scrap fittings. But again, very dangerous and not recommended proceed at your own risk - you have been warned!

I saw that youtube video prior, but yeah its way too risky in this tight area. I was trying to think if just using a torch over the glue or something along those lines would potentially work too. ...or another way to heat the glue some to make it easier to remove; or another type of solvent that will dissolve the glue better.

jGrigo
07/31/2017, 05:37 PM

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/rambit-plastic-fitting-saver-tool.html

I am not great with all the plumbing/pvc verbiage, but I assume you mean cut the pipe into the coupling and use this tool to remove the remnants of the pipe? If so, I actually don't have the pipe in there anymore, its just a glue "kind of" step at ~1/2" into the pipe. I could use that to remove the glue, but problem is I cannot see it, its facing away and aligning it perfectly is highly unlikely. My alternative to that idea was to use a dremel with a wire whisk wheel to remove the glue.

My options thus far (lowest risk) are:
1-dremel tool with wire whisk
2-utility knife

Lsufan
07/31/2017, 07:19 PM
Sounds like they just cut the pipe short when they where installing it. Just cut out what u can with a razor knife & use some pvc cleaner. Once u get the chunks with the razor the cleaner will help loosen some of it up to get a little more out. The cleaner will also help to loosen up the old primer, because if u can it needs to come off to.

Is the pvc coupling dwv or is it pw. If it's dwv it is not rated for pressure so the pvc only slides into the fitting 3/4". If it's pw it is pressure rated & the pipe will slide into the fitting 1" to 1 1/4" depending on size of fitting. So u should have plenty of coupling that was never glued, so if u can get the part that was glued cleaned as good as possible u won't have a issue.

I wouldn't use a dremel & take a chance of scoring or cutting into the coupling. I have had to do something similar multiple times when changing broken toilet flanges & other things & have never had a issue or a leak. Usually I just use a razor & pvc cleaner but on larger pipe I may have to sometimes use something to sand it with. They make little sanding bits that go on a drill that u can use but u have to be careful not to remove any off the pvc. In your case I don't think it is needed

Clowning_Around
07/31/2017, 08:05 PM

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/rambit-plastic-fitting-saver-tool.htmlCool tool

jGrigo
08/01/2017, 01:18 PM
Sounds like they just cut the pipe short when they where installing it. Just cut out what u can with a razor knife & use some pvc cleaner. Once u get the chunks with the razor the cleaner will help loosen some of it up to get a little more out. The cleaner will also help to loosen up the old primer, because if u can it needs to come off to.

Is the pvc coupling dwv or is it pw. If it's dwv it is not rated for pressure so the pvc only slides into the fitting 3/4". If it's pw it is pressure rated & the pipe will slide into the fitting 1" to 1 1/4" depending on size of fitting. So u should have plenty of coupling that was never glued, so if u can get the part that was glued cleaned as good as possible u won't have a issue.

I wouldn't use a dremel & take a chance of scoring or cutting into the coupling. I have had to do something similar multiple times when changing broken toilet flanges & other things & have never had a issue or a leak. Usually I just use a razor & pvc cleaner but on larger pipe I may have to sometimes use something to sand it with. They make little sanding bits that go on a drill that u can use but u have to be careful not to remove any off the pvc. In your case I don't think it is needed

I will have to look up PVC cleaner -- never knew it exists. This is a pressure coupling, so it goes in ~1.25". Your assumption is correct regarding the person just cut the flex pipe too short (at least that is what I think). The issue is they put tons of glue in, so when I removed it, there was a glob of glue from roughly 0.5" to 1.25" inward. ...PVC cleaner, let me check into it. If you have any recommendations, please forward too. Thanks!