PDA

View Full Version : Storing IO salt water

crankbait09
07/31/2017, 08:44 PM
I plan on moving in 30-45 days in to a new home.

During this time, I would like to start making 5 gallon buckets of saltwater so I have water at the time of resetting the tank up.

Since I have my water bins here, the RODI unit, as well as the heaters and powerheads.............if I were to start filling 5 gallon buckets, with lids full of the mixed salt water.........how long can the water stay in these buckets? I was not going to use any heaters/powerheads during the storage period. all the salt will have been premixed in the big bins.

Will the water lose the beneficial parameters?
Is there an expiration date?

bertoni
07/31/2017, 09:20 PM
IO can sit for months without problems, in my experience. It has very little in the way of organics. If the temperature hits some extreme or enough water evaporates, that might cause some problem with precipitation.

devastator007
08/01/2017, 08:12 AM
I've stored salt in buckets with no agitation with no ill effect before for extended periods of time (months). as long as they are covered you should be just fine.

devastator007
08/01/2017, 08:13 AM
by storing salt in buckets, I meant mixed saltwater made with RODI and IO salt, just like you are planning. Just keep out of extreme heat or cold as Bertoni suggested.

crankbait09
08/01/2017, 09:35 AM
awesome. I will start mixing and filling tonight!! thanks for the responses!

Obviously as soon as I move in, get tank set back up, it will be time to get the water in. I really hope salinity levels and all other levels do not fluctuate. that WILL slow the process down. Especially since the live rock will be out of water. long enough while re-scaping.

devastator007
08/03/2017, 12:17 PM
Perameters should remain stable. You may have some evaporation from the rocks being out of water (a lot more surface area) but not enough to matter. If you have enough evaporation to effect your salinity, you'll already have die off from the rock drying out.

If you're moving, just get your buckets of water ready, have more than you think you'll need and put everything together as you want when you get the tank to it's new location. Then after it's all set up and livestock in, you can check perameters and adjust salinity as needed. Likely, it will be very close to your target.

crankbait09
08/03/2017, 12:26 PM
i am nervous about this move, but theres a first for everything. I am nervous about losing livestock, and getting an ammonia spike when setting back up. that makes me stupid nervous.

bertoni
08/03/2017, 05:34 PM
Some tanks do get ammonia spikes when live rock is removed from the water. I'd have plenty of water on hand for changes, and Prime or Amquel or the equivalent. I've moved many tanks and had only minor cycling effects, though.

crankbait09
08/03/2017, 05:40 PM
So if I have read right (hi-jacking my own thread).......

I will use new fresh water that will be waiting.
I will be using new sand that has been rinsed.
I will rescape the rock layout once tank is in place and no leaks have been detected. making sure to constantly keep the rock wet
fill with sand
then fill with water.
in the mean time, the livestock will still be in their 32 gallon brute can where a heater and powerhead are. waiting to be transferred.
how long should you wait before placing livestock in the DT?

won't prime and or amquel harm coral?

LobsterOfJustice
08/03/2017, 05:51 PM
Do you have any kind of time overlap that you will be in possession of both the old and new place? How big of a tank are we talking here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crankbait09
08/03/2017, 05:54 PM
I do not have any idea on time yet.
I am supposed to be out of here by September 15th. I'm trying to find a place to live by the 1st. If that works out, then I will have maybe 7 days of wiggle room. I have work that needs done before I leave, but can't do till the tank is out. So let's go with 7 days. weekends, and week nights.

the tank is a 130 gallon, with a 40g sump

bertoni
08/03/2017, 06:36 PM
won't prime and or amquel harm coral?
No, they are safe for coral. Ammonia is toxic to them, though.