PDA

View Full Version : Reef Buffer in ATO

hypnoj
08/01/2017, 07:45 AM
Can anyone advise on potential downfalls (besides overdosing) of adding Reef Buffer to my ATO to maintain pH and Alk? Feel free to link any posts, I may have missed, that discuss this previously.

sde1500
08/01/2017, 08:15 AM
Any bump in PH is completely temporary. It would really only have a lasting affect on Alk, and not sure it would be easy enough to balance out. Considering you'd need the concentration in your ATO to be high enough that evaporation refill would keep pace with what is consumed. Any reason you don't want to manually dose?

hypnoj
08/01/2017, 08:39 AM
well, within the ATO the dosage is typically more constant and evenly applied. I don't have an SPS tank and so find myself dosing my other elements rather sporadically; ie bringing up Ca and Mg when needed. It seems pretty easy to maintain my alk levels with this method. My pH seems pretty constant too.

bertoni
08/01/2017, 04:40 PM
Using an alkalinity supplement in your ATO is fine if the evaporation rate is stable enough. I dosed Kalk that way for years, but the rate of topoff was quite constant except when I ran a fan. I'd just watch the consumption rate of the water and plan from there. Different seasons can have different evaporation rates, so keeping an eye on the situation might be important.

crawlerman
08/02/2017, 02:34 PM
I use buffer in my ATO. Once I got it dialed in it holds steady. I use reef crystals which has high alk, so I don't add any to the first 10 gallons after a water change. I have mostly frags so my consumption is low