PDA

View Full Version : Zeovite Users; Do you dose trace elements?

Tripod1404
08/01/2017, 12:42 PM
Okay it is known that zeolite removes heavy metals from the water. Some of these heavy metals, such as Cu, Zn, Fe, etc, are important trace elements. So if you use zeolites, should you dose these?

Edit; Although it is not a metal or a trace element, same question is also true for potassium.

bertoni
08/01/2017, 07:51 PM
No takers? Generally, I am skeptical that the zeolites are going to make that much of a difference to trace elements over time. They should become saturated or clogged with bacteria within weeks.

Potassium is a different issue since it can be exported in bulk via bacteria and the like. That's not specific to Zeovit users, but it might be an issue in some systems.

Tripod1404
08/02/2017, 12:55 PM
No takers? Generally, I am skeptical that the zeolites are going to make that much of a difference to trace elements over time. They should become saturated or clogged with bacteria within weeks.

Potassium is a different issue since it can be exported in bulk via bacteria and the like. That's not specific to Zeovit users, but it might be an issue in some systems.

Yeah I never doesn't any trace elements ever. So I was a bit skeptical about the idea of doing it with zeovit. All the artificial salt mixes we use have far more elevated amounts of trace elements compared to NSW anyways. So I dont see the reason why people dose those. They are also present in the food we use, so they also get into the water that way.

From my understanding, zeolites act as ion exchangers and bind to some of the heavy metal trace elements. But as with any exchanger, this should be reversible. So in equilibrium, some trace elements should leach out from the zeo. And like you said, bacteria would clog the pores quite rapidly and reduce the surface area for ionexchange.

The only way I can imagine one can remove trace elements with zeovite is if you have very high flow rate through it and replace the zeovite every week or so while not making any water changes. It is possible to achieve this with carbon as well :).

bertoni
08/02/2017, 01:10 PM
Yes, I agree that you'd have to change the zeolites very frequently to make a difference. I wouldn't worry about the issue, personally.