PDA

View Full Version : DIY 10 gallon sump

robertboukari1
08/01/2017, 04:54 PM
I planned on making a ten gallon sump. Do I need to use filter floss, or would a protein skimmer, filter sock and refugium do just fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
08/01/2017, 05:06 PM
Thats your choice..
Filter floss to me seems a little redundant if you are already planning on running a filter sock.. and its basically useless if you planned it being downstream of said filter sock unless the intention is to catch "stray/runaway" macro algae bits from said fuge.... ;)

der_wille_zur_macht
08/01/2017, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't plan on running it 24/7 but it can be useful to have a way to add it to the system once in a while (ie if you're stirring things up during a big water change.) Floss also makes a really good bio media if you're trying to seed a QT or something - so being able to run it in your system for a week to get it seeded with bacteria can be useful, even if you have a sock.

These are all minor points though. In most cases, on a small simple system, you can get by with the basics. I've done a ton of 10g sumps over the years. My favorite configuration is to do a two-baffle bubble trap about a third of the way from one end and stick the return pump on the smaller side. The drains from the display dump into the opposite end, and the bigger side is split in half with a (loose, not glued in) acrylic baffle - skimmer goes on one side, handful of chaeto goes on the other. Add a clip-on LED grow light for the algae, and an ATO in the return section, and you're set.

rfgonzo
08/02/2017, 09:14 PM
der_wille do you have any pic of a sump you've done this way (loose,not glued) ? And does a two baffle bubble trap seem to be enough to stop micro bubbles in such a small sump?

der_wille_zur_macht
08/04/2017, 10:24 AM
To be clear, I glue the bubble traps. I don't glue the other divider since it's not critical and it's nice for it to be removable. There are a few photos in my build thread in the tank journals forum. It's plenty good enough to srop bubbles, I have maybe 800 gph through this one and I've had more through others, up to 1200 gph or so with no issues.