PDA

View Full Version : Remote ATO?

SkyReef
08/01/2017, 10:27 PM
Got a Tunze ATO that uses optical and float sensors. Works great, from a nearby 32-gallon trash can filled with RODI. But since I redesigned my setup, I want to banish the ATO trash can to the laundry room, where my other 32-gallon trash can will operate in my automated water change system.

So how do I get my ATO to operate from such a far distance? The Tunze pump wires aren't long enough and I doubt the pump would send top-off water that far to my tank room from the laundry room. I could use a Masterflex pump, but how to get it to work with the Tunze optical and float sensors? I have an Apex controller, if that helps. All practical solutions welcome.

Thank you for your help.

abelavin
08/02/2017, 12:20 AM
You may just extend the sesors cabels.
Or remove the ATO barrel as is. Use automatic direct RODI filling. See manual here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YGZlU2LLz8sBonqwUp2rB3UOojbyYaEsWiB2_nEFW9A/edit?usp=drivesdk

Tisbe
08/02/2017, 12:23 AM
Can you raise the ATO reservoir equal to or above the output height? Then air pressure will move the water trough the tube for you.

mcgyvr
08/02/2017, 04:43 AM
The tunze pump is quite strong.. As long as you don't have much head (vertical height difference) it should work ok..
I'd certainly give it a try.. its easy to test it and find out..

and yes either the sensors cables can be extended or the pump power..
or if you are handy you can whip up a wireless remote control in many ways..

SkyReef
08/02/2017, 11:34 PM
Thanks, Abelavin, Tisbe, and McGyver. The idea to extend the sensor-cable/wiring hadn't occurred to me. But it makes perfect sense. Hopefully the Tunze pump will work the distance.

mcgyvr
08/03/2017, 04:53 AM
And you don't need to extend anything before you test if the pump will actually do it..
Just extend the water line..
And manually operate the switch to trigger the pump..

If it works.. then do more splicing as needed..
That way if it doesn't you don't go hacking up your cables..

SkyReef
08/03/2017, 06:26 AM
And you don't need to extend anything before you test if the pump will actually do it..
Just extend the water line..
And manually operate the switch to trigger the pump..

If it works.. then do more splicing as needed..
That way if it doesn't you don't go hacking up your cables..

Thanks, McGyvr. Great suggestion!