PDA

View Full Version : Got lazy cutting PVC, now do this.

DasCamel
08/01/2017, 11:31 PM
Starting using my miter saw. Anyone else do this?

SFish
08/01/2017, 11:42 PM
I was going to start doing that myself.

Wiskey
08/01/2017, 11:49 PM
I just got a cheap PVC cutter. It's super fast and worked for my entire sprinkler system and my tank.

Whiskey

shiftline
08/02/2017, 12:43 AM
I have used miter or the pvc cutters. Both fast and work well :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorgok
08/02/2017, 01:37 AM
If i want a really square cut, larger (1.5"+) pipe, or if i need to make lots of cuts i like the miter saw. If the saw is already setup, its so incredibly fast to chop a bit of pipe that its a no brainer really.

If i need to make a few cuts away from the garage the scissor things are good enough.

McPuff
08/02/2017, 03:22 AM
I've got a few different pairs of PVC cutters... but I agree that it's difficult to get a really square cut. Can't beat the edge though... no sanding/filing required.

mcgyvr
08/02/2017, 04:36 AM
yup.. used the miter saw this weekend doing all the plumbing on my new tank..

Horace
08/02/2017, 06:01 AM
My garage floor is covered in white saw dust as we speak....it's 100x easier.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

chriscobb
08/02/2017, 06:05 AM
I use my miter for rough cuts but then once inside use my PVC cutter to cut to exact lengths.

MurphyLong
08/02/2017, 07:15 AM
I have been using my 18v Sawz-All. I just redid the plumbing on my tank twice. Third time should be the charm!

rfgonzo
08/02/2017, 08:58 PM
YES! It's the only way I've cut over the years. wayyyyy faster. Started doing it this way 15 years ago when I was building a coy pond and running 4 inch pipe. Now 1/2 to 4 in gets cut this way.

fishresponse
08/02/2017, 10:47 PM
I used to use a hack saw and still do time to time. But like others have stated, miter saw is the way to go. Just the mess is 10x more and the wife hates the mess so it's followed by a lot of vacuuming which is time consuming. Need to get a pvc cutter

adeebm
08/04/2017, 03:28 PM
I've always used a hacksaw, takes like 10 seconds. You have to clean up the burrs though. Recently got one of those ratcheting pvc cutters, cuts faster and cleaner. Still impossible to get it perfectly straight though.

karimwassef
08/05/2017, 06:29 AM
I sometimes have to do repairs late at night so can't use power tools. I got the extra large 2.5" ratcheting pvc cutter and it is great. Unfortunately, it's susceptible to corrosion so I've had to re-sharpen the blades and clean the gunk out of the mechanism a few times over the last few years.

I've also broken a few of the smaller ones by continuing to use them after their blades dulled. Apparently, there's enough lever power in a ratcheting cutter to break a blade if it's too dull.

der_wille_zur_macht
08/05/2017, 09:16 AM
Miter saw all the way. Perfectly clean square cuts at the precise spot you want them. Quick and easy. I'd rather take the 2 minutes to roll the saw out and set it up versus do a single cut by hand. It's a bit overkill to use a 12" dual bevel compound sliding miter saw to cut a stick of pvc but it's also very satisfying.

Speaking of rolling it out, I like to just put it in the driveway. Easier cleanup and if some sawdust escapes, it's not a big deal, versus having it set up in the garage where the airborne dust settles on the bikes, tools, etc.

billdogg
08/05/2017, 09:20 AM
I much prefer the PVC cutter over any type of saw, except for larger diameters that the cutters just can't handle.

I'm not sure what's "lazy" about running back and forth to a saw when you can just sit there amidst a pile of various connectors right there at your tank.

No measuring needed - just eyeball it and cut. Seems like 5x the work to run back and forth.

jm.02

slief
08/05/2017, 05:57 PM
I've been cutting PVC with my chop/miter saw for years. You can't be the efficiency and clean cuts. Especially when cutting large diameter PVC and or doing larger plumbing installs. Heck, I don't even own a decent hack saw anymore but I do have a decent PVC cutter that only gets used once in a blue moon and only if I have just a cut or 2 to make. .

der_wille_zur_macht
08/05/2017, 06:15 PM
I'm not sure what's "lazy" about running back and forth to a saw

The more I think about this the more I realize that, honestly, I use the saw because I like to. It feels satisfying to make a perfect cut. I know I don't NEED that level of precision and to your point it probably takes longer with all the back and forth, but in the end I just like it!

billdogg
08/05/2017, 06:36 PM
^^^Now that's an answer I can understand!!!^^^

der_wille_zur_macht
08/05/2017, 06:42 PM
What can I say. I'm at a point in my life where I do things I want to do, the way I want to do them. I don't worry about what's optimal or best or defensible quite as much as I used to!

karimwassef
08/05/2017, 07:15 PM
I just don't like the loud noise of power tools if it can be avoided. Nothing like a single satisfying snap with a ratcheting cutter.

Gorgok
08/05/2017, 08:01 PM
Now the question is, how many bevel the inside (and maybe outside) edges of your cuts? I use a sharp knife and try to get one pass on the inside of my cuts. I hate it when the thing skips and makes a sawtooth on the edge, but it happens....

I always do the inside, but only sometimes the outside and if so much less than the inside. More of a scrape than a cut.

Jon0807
08/05/2017, 11:59 PM
I use a chop saw. Nice square cuts. When I got lazy I used pvc cutters but no matter how hard I tried, they always came out crooked. I also used a bench grinder to chamfer the edges. Really fast and easy

karimwassef
08/06/2017, 05:47 AM
The only time I need to work the edges is when I'm going to push a pipe through a uniseal. Then I need to "bulletize" the front as well as lubricate with silicon grease (or spit when I run out). I use a dremel disk for the shaping and smoothing.

It's not hard on 1" and below to just force it through. But when it's 2" or bigger, it takes more work to get that front face right.

Johnsreefer
08/07/2017, 05:53 AM
The saw does make quite a mess, but the cutters don't seem beefy enough for larger piping

karimwassef
08/07/2017, 06:11 AM
Depends on the cutter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002MR91N6

NanoReefWanabe
08/07/2017, 08:05 AM
I have never had cutters work worth a damn with tiger flex... have to use my mitre saw... but that said I have never been to worried if the cut isn't 100% square

adeebm
08/07/2017, 02:43 PM
I have never had cutters work worth a damn with tiger flex... have to use my mitre saw... but that said I have never been to worried if the cut isn't 100% square

I've tried two cutters, and neither work with thin wall(sch20). They just bend it but not enough to ratchet. Probably won't work with flex pvc either.

karimwassef
08/07/2017, 02:45 PM
That's user error :)

With thin or flex, you need to score by pushing down slightly to make a groove and twirl around. Then squeeze.

NanoReefWanabe
08/07/2017, 05:07 PM
Lol I know how to use cutters.. they envitably follow the spine in the flex pvc... can't say about sch20, never cut it.

der_wille_zur_macht
08/07/2017, 07:16 PM
The only time I need to work the edges is when I'm going to push a pipe through a uniseal.

Same. I touch the edge up if it's going in a uniseal. I just use a utility knife blade as a scraper to break the corner, I don't bother shaping much.

sleepydoc
08/08/2017, 02:41 PM
I've used both a chop saw and a tubing cutter (and a plain ol' saw once or twice) I prefer the power miter saw because the quality of the cut is better, more square and more precise. The tubing cutters I've used tend to skew the cut a bit and often leave a bit of a rolled lip at the end.

I frequently scrape the end of the pipe with a utility knife, especially if I've used the tubing cutter, but I don't often use a beveling tool like is recommended.

The main disadvantage of a power miter/chop saw is the PVC chips that get everywhere!

der_wille_zur_macht
08/08/2017, 07:44 PM
I'm telling you guys. Wheel the saw into the driveway. Make your cuts. Shop vac up any egregious dust that's missed the dust bag, and let the wind take the rest away!

sleepydoc
08/08/2017, 08:52 PM
I'm telling you guys. Wheel the saw into the driveway. Make your cuts. Shop vac up any egregious dust that's missed the dust bag, and let the wind take the rest away!

Yeah, but then you're throwing PVC shavings all over the environment.

Hambonej20
08/08/2017, 09:51 PM
May I ask what you guys are talking about? I have plenty of the sharps just not quite sure why and what the use of cutting is for? I am new.

SFish
08/09/2017, 05:48 AM
I use a chop saw. Nice square cuts. When I got lazy I used pvc cutters but no matter how hard I tried, they always came out crooked. I also used a bench grinder to chamfer the edges. Really fast and easy

That's the same problem I have with the cutters. I started using a hand saw but that gets old when you are doing a lot of cuts.

SFish
08/09/2017, 05:55 AM

Or the neighbors drive. That way you don't have to clean up.

:rollface:

Clowning_Around
08/09/2017, 08:04 AM
Another reason for the miterbox.... I own a miterbox not just for cutting pvc pipes but for a number of task. Woodwork & metalwork being the two dominant uses, pvc less so but still on the list of course. Yes there is noise and there is mess but each of these are manageable which some argue is offset by the accuracy and speed. My additional nod to the Miterbox is that now its one less additional specialized tool I have buy and store. Of course we are all just splitting hairs imo. Use whatcha got and whatcha like, at a point it just comes down to personal preference and means. Such as, if you dont already have a powered miterbox I wouldn't go buying one just on the account of cutting aquarium pvc unless you can justify its cost with other needs... Hacksaw, cutter, dremel, reciprocating saw, heck even a circular saw will work if you want. G'luck to all those who don't already have a preference ;P

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

karimwassef
08/09/2017, 03:38 PM
noone has mentioned the melting steel wire with toxic fumes.. silent, smooth (mostly) and deadly. :)

Rx79394
08/09/2017, 03:54 PM
Another reason for the miterbox.... I own a miterbox not just for cutting pvc pipes but for a number of task. Woodwork & metalwork being the two dominant uses, pvc less so but still on the list of course. Yes there is noise and there is mess but each of these are manageable which some argue is offset by the accuracy and speed. My additional nod to the Miterbox is that now its one less additional specialized tool I have buy and store. Of course we are all just splitting hairs imo. Use whatcha got and whatcha like, at a point it just comes down to personal preference and means. Such as, if you dont already have a powered miterbox I wouldn't go buying one just on the account of cutting aquarium pvc unless you can justify its cost with other needs... Hacksaw, cutter, dremel, reciprocating saw, heck even a circular saw will work if you want. G'luck to all those who don't already have a preference ;P

I plan on doing some plumbing here in the next few days, I plan on just using the table saw, as I don't own a miter saw...

I'm with you, use what you have! Of course, haven't cut anything yet, so we will see how it turns out for me.

mr.maroonsalty
08/09/2017, 05:30 PM
I used my slide saw for virtually anything on the tank: cutting glass, plexi, live rock, the cabinet trim work which includes 12x12 soapstone tiles...everything. its a tool and i a tool user.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

ericarenee
08/09/2017, 05:31 PM
noone has mentioned the melting steel wire with toxic fumes.. silent, smooth (mostly) and deadly. :)

they are only toxic if you inhale .... I have a wire foam Cutter ..

karimwassef
08/09/2017, 05:51 PM
I like inhaling. I do it often. Every few seconds or so :D

Foam is one thing, but PVC is much worse imo.

ericarenee
08/09/2017, 06:17 PM
I never said i cut pvc with the Wire cutter.. I am not even sure it would do it.

i have lots and lots and even more then lots of tools more capable of cutting pvc. I use what ever tool is closest often is fein tool . Grinder or sawzaw

D-Nak
08/10/2017, 12:31 AM
I use my chop saw all the time, combined with a pass on the inside with my X-Acto knife -- a straight, clean cut every time.

bblumberg
08/10/2017, 12:53 AM
Starting using my miter saw. Anyone else do this?

Use my miter saw all the time when plumbing tanks. Quick, easy and perfect cuts every time.

Clowning_Around
08/10/2017, 06:18 AM
I plan on doing some plumbing here in the next few days, I plan on just using the table saw, as I don't own a miter saw...

I'm with you, use what you have! Of course, haven't cut anything yet, so we will see how it turns out for me.Tablesaw will work, if its short pieces the push guide as opposed to the fence maybe easier for perpendicular cuts with pvc's tendacy to be grabby, that paired with feeding a round face between blade and face easily wanting to twist ever so little / can be hard to keep square - length playing a large part. Try some scraps and be safe friend.

Clowning_Around
08/10/2017, 06:24 AM
I forgot to mention abpve @Rx79394, the same appplies to long unweildy pieces of stock.

DasCamel
08/10/2017, 09:59 PM
Good to know I'm not the only one.

Rx79394
08/10/2017, 11:30 PM
Tablesaw will work, if its short pieces the push guide as opposed to the fence maybe easier for perpendicular cuts with pvc's tendacy to be grabby, that paired with feeding a round face between blade and face easily wanting to twist ever so little / can be hard to keep square - length playing a large part. Try some scraps and be safe friend.

Yea, I plan on attaching an 2x4 off of the fence and using that as a stop. Then using the miter sled to push the pipe through. I don't think I will have that long of runs.

That way I can get the right length and then use the sled for the cross cut.

BlueRoofTang
08/11/2017, 07:16 PM
The saw works, but makes a mess and puts bits of pvc all up into the pipe. By the time you clean the pipe and the mess, the pcv cutters are faster.

der_wille_zur_macht
08/11/2017, 07:29 PM
The saw works, but makes a mess and puts bits of pvc all up into the pipe. By the time you clean the pipe and the mess, the pcv cutters are faster.

I've found cleaning the inside of the pipe to be easy. Hold it vertically and rap it on a hard surface. The chips all fall out into a neat pile.

sleepydoc
08/12/2017, 08:09 AM
I have a shop vac hooked up to the dust port of my miter saw. When I'm done cutting (and the blade has stopped,) I turn the piece of pvc and push it up to the dust port and the shop vac sucks everything out - and keeps it off the shop floor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DasCamel
08/12/2017, 12:13 PM
I've found cleaning the inside of the pipe to be easy. Hold it vertically and rap it on a hard surface. The chips all fall out into a neat pile.

I found a good amount of shavings in the tank, test ran the plumbing with high flow and let the filter sock take care of it.