PDA

View Full Version : Stability in PO4 reduction routine.

Mohammed
08/02/2017, 01:07 AM
In the recent months I have tried a few different types of GFO to bind PO4 as well as install a very similar BRS styled reactor (RO Unit Housing) , this has become a pain to open and as a result I could not maintain stable levels. I have since moved to a TLF Phosban Reactor and hoping my life is made a bit easier with it.

My PO4 has gone down to 0.03 but usually elevates to 0.08 to 0.1 in a few weeks. At which point I change out the media.

What are the expected issues with the levels bouncing around like this?

Im currently using ATI Phosphate Stop, and yet to fine tune how much i need to change out monthly. I believe im just dealing with added PO4, not leaching from rocks, as i dont have any nuisance algea and prepping my tank for some addition of SPS.

Can anyone shed a routine that can be followed to minimize the bouncing of the PO4.

Crusinjimbo
08/02/2017, 04:56 AM
The simple answer would be to change the GFO media more frequently and consider implementing a PO4 export system like cheato or an ATS to minimize the need for GFO.

Potatohead
08/02/2017, 11:03 AM
After two weeks, test the water coming out of your GFO reactor. If it is higher than about .04, change the media. Typically in time the media will last longer and longer and eventually you may not need it at all.

Vinny Kreyling
08/02/2017, 11:09 AM
Some phosphate (minimal) is necessary, I change mine like you do, @ 1ppm.
Food is the biggest contributor.

Mohammed
08/02/2017, 11:25 AM
The simple answer would be to change the GFO media more frequently and consider implementing a PO4 export system like cheato or an ATS to minimize the need for GFO.

Im looking into this as well but space is limited even for a cheato reactor.

Mohammed
08/02/2017, 11:26 AM
After two weeks, test the water coming out of your GFO reactor. If it is higher than about .04, change the media. Typically in time the media will last longer and longer and eventually you may not need it at all.

I can work with this methodology. Sounds like a good plan.

Mohammed
08/02/2017, 11:31 AM
Some phosphate (minimal) is necessary, I change mine like you do, @ 1ppm.
Food is the biggest contributor.

What noticeable effects have you seen when phos rose up to this level prior to the chanhe if media?

I have cut out frozen and feed Hikari Pellets now for this reason!

bertoni
08/02/2017, 01:16 PM
I agree that changing the media more often is the most appropriate answer. When the output of the reactor matches the tank in terms of the phosphate level, the media is shot.

jda
08/02/2017, 02:20 PM
The elevation is most likely from organic phosphates unbinding from aragonite. Keep going and it will get lower each time.

If it were just the food, then you barely notice since the aragonite would have lower concentration and would be binding a lot of it.

Be sure and change your GFO when you change water, or the GFO will release some back into the now-lower tank water.

Mohammed
08/03/2017, 11:10 AM
Be sure and change your GFO when you change water, or the GFO will release some back into the now-lower tank water.

I assumed it does not leach back as its stated on most gfo packages.

Potatohead
08/03/2017, 11:18 AM
I assumed it does not leach back as its stated on most gfo packages.

Unfortunately there is no way around it - If the level in the water is lower than the level in the GFO, it will leach back until it finds equilibrium.

bertoni
08/03/2017, 04:32 PM
GFO can leach back into the water column, but that's not likely to happen much in our systems. A large water change that drops the phosphate level a lot would cause some leaching from spent GFO, for example, but I don't think that's the case here.

jason2459
08/03/2017, 09:30 PM
Or a very high PH level could elevate the release of phosphates from GFO as well. But at the level necessary you would have much bigger issues. :thumbsup:

jason2459
08/03/2017, 09:35 PM
In the recent months I have tried a few different types of GFO to bind PO4 as well as install a very similar BRS styled reactor (RO Unit Housing) , this has become a pain to open and as a result I could not maintain stable levels. I have since moved to a TLF Phosban Reactor and hoping my life is made a bit easier with it.

My PO4 has gone down to 0.03 but usually elevates to 0.08 to 0.1 in a few weeks. At which point I change out the media.

What are the expected issues with the levels bouncing around like this?

Im currently using ATI Phosphate Stop, and yet to fine tune how much i need to change out monthly. I believe im just dealing with added PO4, not leaching from rocks, as i dont have any nuisance algea and prepping my tank for some addition of SPS.

Can anyone shed a routine that can be followed to minimize the bouncing of the PO4.

I would consider those levels perfectly fine and the GFO seems to be keeping up with your phosphates well. I personally target around .02 to .09 ppm of phosphates.

And FWIW, my phosphate levels fluxuate through out the day. I tracked it over a period of time once through out the day several days in a row. They would go up and down a good .04 ppm. I think the only thing in my tank that does not like it is my duncan. I can tell when my phosphates are dropping when it closes up. If it's a big swing my fiji leather will slightly retract it's polyps. Other then that I've not seen any other effects. And those are daily swings not just over a long period of time. IF I take my phosphate levels at the same time of day it's about the same each day.

Changing out GFO every 3-4 weeks is pretty common.

Mohammed
08/07/2017, 02:53 PM
Ok so something strange is happening. I tested my phos on Friday and it was 0.04. Out of reactor was 0.03. I changed out the media yesterday and added 2 cups of ATI Phosstop in the TLF 150 reactor which is about 2/3 full for a 147 gal tank.

So measure my ro/di which has a tds of 4 and the phos is 0.018 my phos is now 0.1 on the tank and 0.03 out of reactor in just 24hrs. What could be happening here. My ro/di only does kalk topoff and I didn't do any waterchanges in between.

Potatohead
08/07/2017, 04:11 PM
If you are using the Hanna ULR I would test the tank again. For some reason every 6-8 tests I get some random high result. I've also found that if you don't get all the powder in the vial it will read higher.