PDA

View Full Version : Breathing new life into an old ACIII Pro or driveing a stake in it's heart

five.five-six
08/02/2017, 01:13 PM
I am using a ACIII pro, it's probably 10 years old and it's starting to act up. It's too bad because it handles all the tasks I want to maintain a stable marine environment. The symptoms are that it randomly loses it's log data, and randomly says the power is failed and not restored.

There are several possible causes but the simplest to repair and most likely is that the Li button cell is nearing the end of it's life. You see this kind of behavior in PCs with dying CR2023 Battery. Unfortunatly, in the ACIII, the battery is soldered in and can't just be popped out of a battery holder like on a PC motherboard.

I opened up the unit and unfortunatly I could not find a part number on the battery, I could read 3V on it and did take size measurements with a digital caliper. I believe I found a suitable replacement and ordered it.

This seems to be a suitable replacement. (http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=CR1220MFR_FHvirtualkey61410000virtualkey614-CR1220MFR-FH)

I will update this thread with my sucsess or failure.

This is partly motivated by me being cheep, the battery cost me $12 shipped vs $800 for a new apex system, partly motivated by nostalgia and partly motivated by the challenge.

Wish me luck :)

Vinny Kreyling
08/02/2017, 05:12 PM
GL Boss.

five.five-six
08/08/2017, 04:39 AM
Well, I successfully desoldered the old battery and soldered a new one in place. I was afraid that I would lose my program slate and firmware updates but all that was lost was the time and date. Now I just have to wait and see if it fixed the problem. I did take photos along the way, if anyone is interested, I'll post them.

five.five-six
08/09/2017, 06:20 PM
Well, I haven't lost my log files since the battery replacement. Prior new Li battery, it would hold a log for an hour max, it's been a day and a half now :thumpsup:

Now for the power fail indication, I am thinking it is a power supply problem.