PDA

View Full Version : Multiple gigantea owners -- varied rate of growth?

D-Nak
08/02/2017, 04:03 PM
For you folks with tanks with multiple gigantea in them, do you see different rates of growth? More specifically, do you see any stunting of growth? I have a tank with 6 gigs, and one of my green ones doesn't grow and stays very small, no matter how much I feed it. A blue one that I've had for a few years started at almost 24" and now is about 12" and doesn't grow either. On the other hand, I have three that share the same rock and all are steadily growing. Thoughts?

Ron Popeil
08/02/2017, 04:21 PM
i notice this exact phenomenon with multiple magnificas in a closed system. i believe a dominant specimen will somehow inhibit or at least limit the growth of the other anemones. im not sure how this process works, but i suspect chemically.

im not surprised to see it in gigantae as well.

D-Nak
08/02/2017, 04:32 PM
Yes, that's what I was thinking as well. I assume it's allelopathy. I'm wondering if it's simply dominance, or if the sex of the nem plays a role (in species such as gigantea where there are apparently males and females).

OrionN
08/03/2017, 06:51 AM
When one of my anemone is not doing well I think it is me who did not provide adequate care rather than one anemone is being affected by another one.

D-Nak
08/03/2017, 10:33 AM
When one of my anemone is not doing well I think it is me who did not provide adequate care rather than one anemone is being affected by another one.

That's what I find odd. All of the anemones are in the same tank, receiving the same light and get fed the same food. But one of my gigs is small, and stays small, but it isn't sick or not doing well. It's just not growing!

CoralsAddiction
08/03/2017, 10:51 AM
But one of my gigs is small, and stays small, but it isn't sick or not doing well. It's just not growing!

It's Tyrion Lannister anemone. They just stay small all their lives.
:spin1:

D-Nak
08/03/2017, 11:04 AM
It's Tyrion Lannister anemone. They just stay small all their lives.
:spin1:

OK, that does it. I was telling myself that I need to watch GoT, and you pushed me over the edge. My tank build will suffer because of my binge watching. Thaaaanks. :thumbsup:

CoralsAddiction
08/03/2017, 01:49 PM
Lol
GOT is addiction.

geckoejon
08/04/2017, 05:16 AM
I agree with the theory that one or possibly two are dominant. Just about has to be a chemical reaction to effect nems on the other side of the tank, even running carbon. I've had several that a couple just didn't seem to do well in a tank that others are thriving in. I remove them, put them in another tank, and they start to perk up. I rehomed, so I don't have a follow up after that... I just have one of each now... a gig & mag. I kept the ones that were thriving in that tank together.

ginpang
08/04/2017, 07:03 AM
Sounds like a good research topic. Students / professors around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D-Nak
08/04/2017, 01:02 PM
I agree with the theory that one or possibly two are dominant. Just about has to be a chemical reaction to effect nems on the other side of the tank, even running carbon. I've had several that a couple just didn't seem to do well in a tank that others are thriving in. I remove them, put them in another tank, and they start to perk up. I rehomed, so I don't have a follow up after that... I just have one of each now... a gig & mag. I kept the ones that were thriving in that tank together.

Once I set up my main DT, I plan to move the smallest gig into it. I'm curious to see if it'll have a growth spurt. I'm guessing it will.