PDA

View Full Version : Ozone

koopz1976
08/02/2017, 08:57 PM
Hey guys,

What are your thoughts on ozone as water purifier? There's a bunch of small ozone generators in Amazon and they can act like air pumps and putting an airstone to sump or tank.

vhuang168
08/02/2017, 09:25 PM
Excess ozone is no good for your health. The best way to use ozone is to run it through a reactor and vent the excess through a carbon filter. Some run it through the skimmer but then you have to vent the skimmer cap through carbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bertoni
08/02/2017, 10:32 PM
Ozone can make the water clearer, at least for some people. Some people report reduced algal growth Others don't. This article covers what ozone does:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

It's part of a series, if you are interested in more details.

I was never interested enough in ozone to try it. If I had a tank that seemed to have problems with toxins from corals, I might consider trying it.

jason2459
08/03/2017, 10:40 PM
I highly suggest reading through that 3 part series Bertoni linked to in his post above mine. It's covers most everything you need to know about generating and using ozone.

I like using very small amounts of ozone for a few hours each day. It clears up the water but in my opinion it seems to help my skimmer out almost like a flocculant. But that's only when set for a very small amount. If I generate to much ozone it seems to reduce my skimmers production.

jason2459
08/03/2017, 10:42 PM
Excess ozone is no good for your health. The best way to use ozone is to run it through a reactor and vent the excess through a carbon filter. Some run it through the skimmer but then you have to vent the skimmer cap through carbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to seal up the holes in the lid except for 1 and would run the airline through that hole to pull the air back into the skimmer to be recirculated. Much like the lifereef skimmer does. My current MTC MVX skimmer has no holes in it and is sealed so I don't have to worry about that part.