PDA

View Full Version : SPS with LED, what is your PAR target

finrod2
08/03/2017, 08:55 AM
For those who switched to LED or converted from T5/MH, what is your PAR target with LED, I've heard 300 is a good value. What was your acclimation schedule? Did you start at say, 50%? I've bleached some coral and I want to restart correctly.
Thanks
Thanks

bshow24
08/03/2017, 10:58 AM
With mine, it's always been a "test and check" method because each coral varies. I had a red planet which bleached under 250 PAR, but another one that thrived at 400.

I would start with your lights at the level you want them or feel they will work at, but have the corals lower (I do this with a frag rack, keep moving the corals up higher on a weekly basis). When my corals start to show less polyp extension and signs of bleaching, I've found a happy point. I then take note of the PAR value and find a spot on a rock with similar numbers to glue them in.

This has worked for me, but it is a very manual process. I'm sure there are others out there who have more ways they can recommend.

Bulldog88
08/03/2017, 12:05 PM
Following along

finrod2
08/03/2017, 07:29 PM
My new corals seem to doing very well with good polyp extension and colors are holding from when I picked up the frags. Alot my issues had to do with my Calcium reactor. That being said my coral still slowly faded a high LED levels. My mistake was that I though I needed the same PAR as MH but that is not the case apparently. I plan to keep at this levels for another 2 weeks then inch up my acclimation % from 70% to 60%. I rearranged my lights to 3 strips with the front and back (it a peninsula tank) about 25% more light so PAR levels are more even.