PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into the hobby...need LED help

tiller25
08/03/2017, 10:38 AM
Hi all,

I was in the hobby for a long time, but haven't kept a SW tank for a number of years now. When I got out, LEDs were just emerging into the hobby. Now that I am getting back in, I am having a hard time figuring out the correct fixture(s) for my tank.

I am planning a 40g breeder zoa/polyp garden, the only other items I am considering will be gorgs and maybe a rbta. No sps. As the tank matures I may go with a few lps but no rush on that.

What would you all suggest for that application? As of now, I am leaning towards a kessil unit but that is where I am getting confused. Since the 40g breeder is 36x18x17, I want good coverage (no dark corners) but I don't feel the need to over power the tank since there will not be sps.

Would a single kessil A160 tuna blue work? I could always add a second if needed. My thought with an A360 is that it is overkill since it is a shallow tank.

Totally open to suggestions and I am grateful for the help!

Cheapreef
08/03/2017, 12:10 PM
Would a single kessil A160 tuna blue work?

Not a chance, I had a single 160 above my 18" cube I had shading on the outer 3-4" all the way around. I would say a single 160 would be good for 12" square for LPS or softies. So you would need 3 on your tank size.
If your not 100% set on the kessils there are far cheaper options for your size tank, you just wont get the heavy shimmer effect.

tiller25
08/03/2017, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the input!

Not attached any brand/fixture and welcome any suggestions.

Ron Reefman
08/04/2017, 04:29 AM
Your tank is 36", why not get a 32" black box led? That would cover the tank completely and give you more than enough light (even for sps) and cost way less.

What are the features you want in an led fixture? If looks are important and a black box led with the proper features is not good looking enough, how about a Reef Breeders Photon V2 32". All the bells and whistles as well as classy, modern streamline good looks.

Mishri
08/04/2017, 12:31 PM
for zoas and gorgs you don't really need much of any light.. you can run compact flourscent or T5 whatever looks good to you. I think I ran like an 18 watt CF light for zoas over my 5.5 gallon.

the rbta though is completely different... and LPS depends on what you get..

If you are set on getting LED's an inexpensive fixture like Ron said will work for all. the kessil I don't believe will give you the coverage you want and will come at a much higher price.

tiller25
08/04/2017, 02:44 PM
great, I will start looking into the black box units.

Thanks for the help!

Ron Reefman
08/05/2017, 06:13 AM
For some basic info and brands to consider, check out this post:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25052764&postcount=233

Benson0219
08/06/2017, 06:58 PM
I have two AI Hydras over my 40 gallon breeder frag tank. They work great.

moondoggy4
08/06/2017, 08:58 PM
A used 36" Ati T-5 fixture would work great, try to get a 6 bulb unit if you can. If you want let you will need at least two i]unless they are the Reef Breeder type like Ron recommended.