PDA

View Full Version : New Fish Suggestions for my FOWLR Tanks

marin8n
08/03/2017, 12:37 PM
I have two established FOWLR tanks and plan on adding a few fish over the next couple months. Looking for some feedback or suggestions.

Here is the current occupants of the tanks and the sizes of the fish. I have listed them in the order in which they were introduced to the tank. The 300G tank was stocked with mostly juvenile fish over a period of about 18 months and all fish get along very well. As they say...go slow in this hobby.

Tank 1 - 300DD
Foxface - 7"
Aus Harlequin Tusk - 7"
Yellow Eye Kole Tang - 4"
Purple Tang - 5"
Regal Tang - 6"
Porcupine Puffer - 8"
Flame Angel - 3"
Emperor Angel - 8"
Green Bird Wrasse - 6"
Blue Throat Trigger - 6"
Humu Humu Trigger - 5"

I am considering adding:
Larger clownfish (maroon?)
Another large angel (juvenile)
Acanthurus Tang (Achilles or Powder)
Hawaiian Black Trigger
School of smaller fish (damsels?)

Tank 2:
Purple Firefish - 3"
Ocellaris Clownfish Pair - 2" and 3"

I am considering adding:
Lawnmower blenny (to keep up with algae)
Dwarf Angel (Eibli or Lemonpeel?)

Looking for additional suggestions I may have not considered or feedback on what I am already considering.

Thanks in advance!

BigT75
08/03/2017, 12:42 PM
That's a lot of tangs in one tank I see you said they get along but man that's scary imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tkiry1
08/03/2017, 12:44 PM
Crosshatch trigger and sargussum maybe... Some kind of dogface puffer.. My 2 cents

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

marin8n
08/03/2017, 02:41 PM
That's a lot of tangs in one tank I see you said they get along but man that's scary imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only 3 tangs at the moment... Even the purple plays nice - the triggers and Emperor keep everyone in check.

marin8n
08/03/2017, 02:44 PM
Crosshatch trigger and sargassum maybe... Some kind of dogface puffer.. My 2 cents

I love the Crosshatch triggers but they are quite $$$. Concerns with the existing Bluethroat in the same genus? Sargassum doesn't do much for me. Thanks for the suggestions!!

tkiry1
08/03/2017, 02:51 PM
I have bluethroat, crosshatch and that new linespot trigger in 265 and getting along great.. Sargussum is kind of plain

marin8n
08/03/2017, 03:10 PM
I have bluethroat, crosshatch and that new linespot trigger in 265 and getting along great.. Sargussum is kind of plain

Those are a couple of pricey triggers! Dogface is a good suggestion as well. I have read that they get along fine with porc puffers since they are so different.

marin8n
08/06/2017, 01:15 PM
So a visit to a respected LFS provided the suggestion of a small school of Square Anthias - recommended 3 female to 1 male. They also suggested that a Achilles tang would be too sensitive for that tank (although they had a beautiful one in their quarantine system). They also recommended a Naso tang and had a nice one as well.

Any thoughts on the Anthias? I don't know much about them or have any experience with them.

WLachnit
08/07/2017, 12:27 AM
I love Anthias. Just keep in mind that they need multiple feedings per day. If they're eating pellets, then autofeeder works well. The harem is a good idea, IME, with Ignitus and Bartletts, more often than not, the females turn into males. So, they will behave a bit different once that happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marin8n
09/27/2017, 12:01 PM
Quick update - decided to go with a Royal Gramma and Lawnmower blenny for the 28G tank. Once they are thru TTM and QT I will decide on what's going into the 300. Right now I'm leaning Naso (Blonde?), Blood Orange Clown, and a harem of Square Anthias.

Forgot how weird the Royal Gramma can be. Very skiddish in QT, but hopefully he will be fine once he goes into the DT.