PDA

View Full Version : Best skimmer for 20G

dzheng
08/03/2017, 06:41 PM
Whats the best skimmer option for a innovative marine fusion 20g? No HOBs as I don't have the space.

Lots of options for out there and many differing opinions - let me know what has worked best for you!

Thanks!

joesig
08/03/2017, 07:07 PM
Tunze 9004

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReefWreak
08/03/2017, 08:37 PM
Check the dimensions, but I am currently running a AquaMaxx WS-1, and it's a beast. I was using an Aquaticlife 115 which is cheaper and smaller, but not as good.

dzheng
08/04/2017, 12:49 AM
Great thanks for the suggestions!

dzheng
08/04/2017, 12:50 AM
Tunze 9004

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a difference with the Tunze 9001? I know if you mod the magnet to the side of the 9001, it will fit in the sump area of the IM 20G.

ReefWreak
08/04/2017, 08:14 AM
There's a huge size difference between the 9004 and 9001. I believe the 9004 is equally wide and deep, with a very long height. The 9001 is very short, I'm guessing similar depth, but very narrow so that it fits in the back of nano tanks comfortably. From what I've heard over the years, it also sounds like the performance difference is pretty dramatic.

The 9001 was my first Tunze disappointment. Then I just bought their nano scraper, and I'm pretty disappointed with that too... They have so many good products... I've just had bad luck with the last few I've purchased.

Jadams
08/04/2017, 08:46 AM
IMO, just do water changes. If done religiously, you shouldn't need a skimmer.

ReefWreak
08/04/2017, 09:14 AM
IMO, just do water changes. If done religiously, you shouldn't need a skimmer.

Mostly true, though some of us are too lazy for that :p Skimmers are really convenient and easy to maintain, not to mention they keep the water well aerated and maintain pH at night when it otherwise would go down.

Snaredrum
08/04/2017, 02:22 PM
Check the dimensions, but I am currently running a AquaMaxx WS-1, and it's a beast. I was using an Aquaticlife 115 which is cheaper and smaller, but not as good.

Will that AquaMaxx WS 1 fit in the center sump of a 29 Biocube? Thanks in advance

ReefWreak
08/04/2017, 02:40 PM
Will that AquaMaxx WS 1 fit in the center sump of a 29 Biocube? Thanks in advance

Yes, that's what I'm doing (I have a 29g Biocube). I have nothing in chamber 1 now, a pH probe, temp probe, and the skimmer in chamber 2, and a heater, ATO sensor, and the return pump in chamber 3.

I hope that helps!

Snaredrum
08/04/2017, 02:42 PM
Yes, that's what I'm doing (I have a 29g Biocube). I have nothing in chamber 1 now, a pH probe, temp probe, and the skimmer in chamber 2, and a heater, ATO sensor, and the return pump in chamber 3.

I hope that helps!
Yes it does. I will be ordering the Aquamaxx this weekend. Thanks and have a great weekend

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

ReefWreak
08/04/2017, 09:39 PM
Yes it does. I will be ordering the Aquamaxx this weekend. Thanks and have a great weekend

Thanks, you too.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that the one downside to the Aquamaxx is that the rear lid doesn't close any more. I had mine open before anyway, so it wasn't a big deal for me (helps bring in fresh air and keep the tank ever so slightly cooler.

With the Aquamaxx, about 1" sticks out over where the lid would close, so it won't close, and you have to take the cup off of the skimmer when opening the hood. Again, not a big deal for me because I don't mess with the tank often, but something to consider.

Snaredrum
08/07/2017, 10:32 AM
Thanks, you too.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that the one downside to the Aquamaxx is that the rear lid doesn't close any more. I had mine open before anyway, so it wasn't a big deal for me (helps bring in fresh air and keep the tank ever so slightly cooler.

With the Aquamaxx, about 1" sticks out over where the lid would close, so it won't close, and you have to take the cup off of the skimmer when opening the hood. Again, not a big deal for me because I don't mess with the tank often, but something to consider.

I have been leaving mine open also because of heat also. I was even thinking of removing the lid all together but havent because of water splash on the back wall maybe. Thanks again.

ReefWreak
08/07/2017, 10:43 AM
I have been leaving mine open also because of heat also. I was even thinking of removing the lid all together but havent because of water splash on the back wall maybe. Thanks again.

A lot of people run theirs "Open top". I haven't, because I like(d) the sleek look of the closed top. It does make the tank warmer though, partially because of the heat from the lights (which LEDs help), but partially because it reduces evaporation, which while annoying, does help cool the tank as well.

As far as water splash on the back wall, that's the least of my concerns with open top. Fish jumping is #1, Evaporation (without an auto topoff) is #2, and pollutants getting into the tank is #3. #1 is taken care of with a mesh screen, #2 an ATO fixes, and #3 ehhh if it was really a big issue people would recommend covering tanks, which they almost never do.

With an open top, unless you have lots of small wrasses who are prone to jumping and splashing, I wouldn't worry about splashing. If you aim your powerheads so they don't splash, splashes are very very rare. Really, the only thing you'll get outside the tank is salt creep, and even with the closed lid, I still get some around the back corners of my tank between the lid and the tank.