PDA

View Full Version : Help my tank had a nitrite spike!

donnadexter
08/03/2017, 07:01 PM
My tank had a nitrite spike while I was a work. I think it came from my filter. My Ritteri nem was all limp looking. I put him in my big display different tank. Is there anything else I can do for him?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pfan151
08/03/2017, 09:11 PM
Not really understanding how you could have a nitrite spike? How old is the tank? How long have you had the anemone? For the anemone, assuming it's not a new addition, I'd just make sure the water was perfect in the tank it is in. If it continues looking bad it may need cipro treatment.

jah hoeva
08/04/2017, 06:38 AM
I agree, not sure how you got nitrites, unless the tank is fairly new. In which case you should probably not have a Magnifica in there yet.

God.
08/04/2017, 01:47 PM
Nitrites are what ammonia is conerted to via nitrobacter, Im puzzled that nobody knows where nitrites come from....

If you have a nitrite spike it is reasonable to believe you also had an ammonia spike that you did not see on your test kit. You may have had a large snail or something else die and it wasnt immediately visible. If its a semi-mature aquarium then your other bacteria will convert your nitrite to nitrate, so no worries there.

As for the mag, i would monitor it for deflation and/or gaping mouth. If the anemone continues to look subpar i would consider looking for ciprofloxacin , septra , or doxycycline to begin treatment. Most of these can be purchased online or at a reputable LFS.

Good Luck!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

garygb
08/07/2017, 09:51 PM
Actually God (seems like a given that you would know this ; ) nitrosomonas are what converts ammonia to nitrite. Nitrobacter converts nitrite to nitrate. And I'm pretty sure almost everyone on this forum knows the nitrogen cycle.