PDA

View Full Version : Worm identify and how to get rid of

bwitchn
08/03/2017, 11:36 PM
Just saw my tank this evening and freaked out seeing 4 of these nasty, quite large, worms crawling in and out of a rock. Can someone please identify them and tell me if I should get rid of them and how do I get rid of them? Really freaked me out. I tried to look it up and it appears to perhaps be a Fireworm and from what I read they are nasty critters. I have corals, fish, and I'm very very worried. I don't like the look of these things and they are pretty big.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks.
Mary

badbreath
08/04/2017, 12:48 AM
Bristle worms don't worry about it...ugly/creepy you'll get used to it.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

windlasher
08/04/2017, 01:36 AM
Just saw my tank this evening and freaked out seeing 4 of these nasty, quite large, worms crawling in and out of a rock. Can someone please identify them and tell me if I should get rid of them and how do I get rid of them? Really freaked me out. I tried to look it up and it appears to perhaps be a Fireworm and from what I read they are nasty critters. I have corals, fish, and I'm very very worried. I don't like the look of these things and they are pretty big.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks.
Mary

MOSTLY Harmless. If you are a heavy feeder, they can get quite large so depending on how many you have, at some point, you will want to remove some of them. If you have a lot of them, you can buy a trap. One or two smallish ones, won't hurt, but very big, or in large quantities can be a HUGE pain.

Keep an eye on them. They can be beneficial, but if they freak you out, get a trap and get rid of them. I don't really like them either.

And don't watch this video about what happens when they start breeding. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq08mk7zzb0

bwitchn
08/04/2017, 01:41 AM
Funny on the video. What kind of trap do I buy?

Mary

windlasher
08/04/2017, 10:56 AM
Funny on the video. What kind of trap do I buy?

Mary

Just google Bristle worm trap.

Also, if you can remove the rock, you can make a bucket of VERY HIGH Salinity water and dip it in there. The salt content will be so high that the worms will freak out and exit the rock. Just make sure to soak the now Bristle worm free rock in regular salt water with an airstone and heater for a few hours before you put it back.

manfrog
08/29/2017, 11:32 PM
I picked a large one up, one day, while working in the sump. Every spot of skin that touched it was covered in tiny bristles and made for a very uncomfortable sensation. A piece of really adhesive tape will remove most if the bristles. I tend to let them be and wear gloves now when working in that particular sump.

lagatbezan
08/29/2017, 11:50 PM
I wouldn't worry about them since they are great scavengers and will not do any harm to your tank. Just wear gloves when working in the tank or in the sump. If you feed very lightly their population tends to decrease naturally.