PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 9001 skimmer in JBJ Nano cube?

kupadupapupa
08/03/2017, 11:37 PM
I just bought a Tunze 9001 from Dr.F&S because they were having a 25% off flash sale, I didn't do much research as I would like because it's only a one day sale.

Does anyone know if I put this skimmer in the media basket section of a JBJ 28 cube will it block the flow significantly to the other compartments? Thanks.

ReefWreak
08/04/2017, 07:15 AM
If you remove the media basket it should fit, it is very narrow.

The larger issue is that because that chamber's water level changes, you need to be super on-top of topping off the tank, or buy an Automatic Top Off (ATO) to do the work for you. The skimmer will not work well with a fluctuating water level.

Tunze makes very nice ATOs as well, see if they're on sale.

Snaredrum
08/04/2017, 10:40 AM
I have a skimmer in my center compartment for 8 years and it has worked fine. Like stated check water level daily or you wont be skimming much.

kupadupapupa
08/04/2017, 10:57 AM
Ok cool. So I downgraded from my previous tank and kept my ATO from Autotopoff.com, it worked really well for over 7 years so I'm hoping it'll work in this tank without having to shell out more money for something else.

I've never had an all in one tank but I assume the fluctuating water level will be in the return compartments like any other sump, correct?

ReefWreak
08/04/2017, 11:04 AM
In most of the all-in-one tanks, the back left two chambers tend to both fluctuate, not just the single furthest left, like you would have in a normal sump. Check your manual (or just look at the partitioning and think it through). So that's why the moving water level is often a concern.

kupadupapupa
08/04/2017, 11:11 AM
Yeah it looks like both Chambers fluctuate. But I would imagine that the water level would be even in both those chambers and the ATO only would have to be placed in one chamber? Unless the skimmer sitting right in between the two chambers redirects more flow to one chamber over the other.

I also have to find a decent smaller container for top off water that doesn't take up there while cabinet.

freewilly2
08/04/2017, 02:37 PM
i have mine in chamber two attached to the wall shared by chamber two and three. ignore the suggested water level on the biocube and raise it to be within 3-4 inches of the top. as other have mentioned the skimmer is very finicky.

kupadupapupa
08/04/2017, 07:34 PM
i have mine in chamber two attached to the wall shared by chamber two and three. ignore the suggested water level on the biocube and raise it to be within 3-4 inches of the top. as other have mentioned the skimmer is very finicky.

Ok cool. So can you still see your water line under the rim, if you know what I mean? I'm out for the weekend or I'd measure when I got home but I'm just curious.

freewilly2
08/07/2017, 07:51 AM
the easiest way to set it up is to remove the collection cup and raise the water level to be a few milimeters below the rim of the body of the skimmer. and at the same time set your ATO system to maintain that level as well.

kupadupapupa
08/09/2017, 12:51 AM
So I got the Skimmer set up and running and I'm not sure I like it. It seems to restrict/redirect some flow and create some splashing noise because of this. It also doesn't seem very stable, I feel like the slightest nudge will mess up the skimmer level. I'm also having a hard time trying to adjust water level because the overflow from the display tank is above the body and keeps filling it up with water if the collection cup is removed.

I'm thinking about returning it and either going without a skimmer or buying a HOB one. I keep seeing these rave reviews about the Aquamax HOB-1 but it's been discontinued and I can't seem to find another skimmer that took its spot. I'm just not finding many videos or pics to give me an example if others have these issues or not.

ReefWreak
08/09/2017, 08:02 AM
Not sure about any splashing noise, but I recall having to run the water level really high on the skimmer to get it to skim. I found it to be a pain. Try adjusting the air intake with the clamp valve they provide. I loved the mounting, but hated the skimmer, though the person I swapped with said he loves the 9001 and had trouble with the WS-1 that I now love, so they're all pretty personal experiences.

FYI it looks like they replaced the HOB-1 with the HOB-1.5. Clever marketing name...

Just Google AquaMaxx HOB-1.5 Hang-On-Back Protein Skimmer and you'll get a bunch of responses, and it looks like MarineDepot has them in stock (though they're pricey!). I got my WS-1 used, so just keep checking ReefCentral for sale forum, as well as ebay, there's tons of turnover of skimmers all the time?

kupadupapupa
08/09/2017, 10:30 AM
Not sure about any splashing noise, but I recall having to run the water level really high on the skimmer to get it to skim. I found it to be a pain. Try adjusting the air intake with the clamp valve they provide. I loved the mounting, but hated the skimmer, though the person I swapped with said he loves the 9001 and had trouble with the WS-1 that I now love, so they're all pretty personal experiences.

FYI it looks like they replaced the HOB-1 with the HOB-1.5. Clever marketing name...

Just Google AquaMaxx HOB-1.5 Hang-On-Back Protein Skimmer and you'll get a bunch of responses, and it looks like MarineDepot has them in stock (though they're pricey!). I got my WS-1 used, so just keep checking ReefCentral for sale forum, as well as ebay, there's tons of turnover of skimmers all the time?

Great, thanks I'll check it out.