PDA

View Full Version : Test kits

snowlynx
08/04/2017, 11:22 AM
Hi,

I am using Api reef master.
Is this accurate enough for reef keeping?

Do I need to invest in Saifert for Nitrate and
Phosphate tests?

Which are critical and require more accurracy?

bertoni
08/04/2017, 11:41 AM
The API ammonia kit is fine, although it can read low levels of ammonia where there is none and thus can be a bit deceiving. Ammonia is highly toxic, so keeping a good ammonia kit on hand is important. The calcium and alkalinity levels require a decent level of precision, but the API kits seem to get reasonable reviews for those parameters.

If and when the tank has problems with algal or coral growth, nitrate and phosphate kits can be useful. Is the tank having any problems? If not, I wouldn't worry too much about the nitrate level. I might watch the phosphate level because phosphate has the nasty problem of binding to live rock, which means it can accumulate and then leach back into the system.

bertoni
08/04/2017, 11:43 AM
Oops, I also should have asked what kinds of animals and other organisms you intend to keep. Stony corals, clams, and coralline can be a bit pickier than many other animals, for example.

snowlynx
08/04/2017, 05:52 PM
future pair of clowns, one firefish, few corals, BTA
tank is cycled and going through diamtom right now

I have done them all so far including PH

bertoni
08/05/2017, 07:54 PM
Well, I would get alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium kits. Calcifying organisms consume those elements, and tank usually require calcium and alkalinity supplementation. The magnesium test kit could wait, but one can be useful for troubleshooting.