PDA

View Full Version : stand ideas

tipman92
08/05/2017, 08:13 PM
needs some plans or ideas to help build a stand for my set up. its a 120 gal 60"X18" want to have my sump under cabinet as well its 48"X 16"X 17". What would be best. want it totally enclosed. Thanks Tipman92

tipman92
08/05/2017, 08:19 PM
here is a pic

tipman92
08/05/2017, 08:33 PM

ericarenee
08/05/2017, 08:37 PM
those saw horses will not hold the weight ..

Just saying

Lsufan
08/05/2017, 09:18 PM
Do a search for rocketengineers stand design. He has a long thread that pretty much goes through everything. Once u get the idea from that then u can figure out if & how u want to skin it. One thing I would recommend is making it from 36" to 42" tall. It gives u more room under the stand & puts the tank at viewing level. I would condider going 42" tall if the tank is 18 to 21" high & 36" if the tank is 24" high.

I would also recommend putting a door on one of the ends of the stand. That way u have access to that end & u can also slide the sump in from the end. With the dimensions of your tank & sump u may not be able to slide the sump in from the end because of the corner legs. If that is the case u will need to size the top frame of the stand to not have a center brace.

One more thing I would recommend if u have the room behind the tank is build the bottom of the stand something like 24" instead of 18". The top frame will still need to be the size of the tank, so 18" & u would need the supports under the corners of the tank . But doing that lets u push the sump back so it doesn't take up the whole stand.

Btw, I would get the tank off those horses & set it on the floor

jayball
08/05/2017, 09:33 PM
Do a search for rocketengineers stand design. He has a long thread that pretty much goes through everything. Once u get the idea from that then u can figure out if & how u want to skin it. One thing I would recommend is making it from 36" to 42" tall. It gives u more room under the stand & puts the tank at viewing level. I would condider going 42" tall if the tank is 18 to 21" high & 36" if the tank is 24" high.

I would also recommend putting a door on one of the ends of the stand. That way u have access to that end & u can also slide the sump in from the end. With the dimensions of your tank & sump u may not be able to slide the sump in from the end because of the corner legs. If that is the case u will need to size the top frame of the stand to not have a center brace.

One more thing I would recommend if u have the room behind the tank is build the bottom of the stand something like 24" instead of 18". The top frame will still need to be the size of the tank, so 18" & u would need the supports under the corners of the tank . But doing that lets u push the sump back so it doesn't take up the whole stand.

Btw, I would get the tank off those horses & set it on the floor

X2, the original thread lost the template illustration to the photo bucket problem. You can google image search rocket engineer stand to pull it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

der_wille_zur_macht
08/06/2017, 07:06 AM
What sort of tools and building experience do you have?

What sort of finished look are you going for?

There are so many options for stands, it's hard to answer this without knowing your starting point. The answer will be different if you can weld and hate woodworking versus you're a total newbie with only a circular saw versus your neighbor has a full wood shop you can use and so on...