PDA

View Full Version : Roller catches for removable doors?

iLLwiLL
08/06/2017, 06:44 PM
I'm building a new stand for a project I've been wanting to do for a while and noticed today that euro cup hinges just won't work for my application.

I was considering my options and came across the roller catches at home depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Liberty-Unichrome-Double-Roller-Catch-C08820C-UC-P/100208367

Would 4 of these (one on each corner) be enough to hold a door that's roughly 36 x 24? The doors will be a 1/2" plywood with a 3" border of 3/4" pine for a shaker appearance and will have flush side pulls on both the top and bottom for handles to get them on and off the stand.

I had planned for a 1/8" gap on the top and bottom of the doors and am not sure if magnets will get the pannels back exactly where I want them after taking them off.

If anyone has any input on these or other better options I'd really appreciate it.

azsoccerpop
08/06/2017, 08:14 PM
I'm building a new stand for a project I've been wanting to do for a while and noticed today that euro cup hinges just won't work for my application.

I was considering my options and came across the roller catches at home depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Liberty-Unichrome-Double-Roller-Catch-C08820C-UC-P/100208367

Would 4 of these (one on each corner) be enough to hold a door that's roughly 36 x 24? The doors will be a 1/2" plywood with a 3" border of 3/4" pine for a shaker appearance and will have flush side pulls on both the top and bottom for handles to get them on and off the stand.

I had planned for a 1/8" gap on the top and bottom of the doors and am not sure if magnets will get the pannels back exactly where I want them after taking them off.

If anyone has any input on these or other better options I'd really appreciate it.

You are better off using magnetic door holders. The rollers are not as strong. Frame the doors and use 1/4" birch plywood for the center panel they have those magnets that retract when pressed if you need them to set at a specific gap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iLLwiLL
08/06/2017, 09:17 PM
I considered those pop up magnets, but I want the panels flush to the frame at all times. I'm considering adding a 3/4" strip on the backs of the doors that will sit on the inner stand frame taking the majority of the weight of the panel.

I like the idea of magnets and still might go that route if I can find something with a bracket that will work for my application. Going to search tonight but if you or anyone else has any recommendations ilt would be really helpfull.

Vinny Kreyling
08/07/2017, 09:50 AM
If I were to do this I would turn them so the rollers were vertical.

der_wille_zur_macht
08/08/2017, 09:39 PM
I'd just do magnets. Seems like it would be easy to shim the magnets to get whatever gap or alignment you wanted. If you need to keep a specific alignment each time the door is replaced, just countersink the magnet or have locating pegs on the backs of the panels that key into drilled holed in the face of the stand or some other arrangement.

iLLwiLL
08/08/2017, 10:09 PM
I've got my pulls on order but am having a hard time figuring out what magnets would be a good option.

What type, pull strength and size should I be looking at? I'd also need 20 of them (5 panels, 4 per door) so what would be the best value? If I were to do these, what kind of metal would be best for the L brackets I'd have to make to attach to the wood frame?