PDA

View Full Version : to feed or not during 1 week vacation

BeachVacationer
08/06/2017, 06:38 PM
Just going away for short 1 week vacation. I've been keeping discus way longer than my 2 small clown fish that's been in my tiny tank for 2 years now. I regularly go on 2 week vacay without feeding my adult discus for 2 weeks without any problems. Have not tried 1 week with my 2 clowns on a 1 week vacation. Do you think it'll be ok not feeling them for 1 week? I personally think there is no problem but I thought is ask. Thanks.

der_wille_zur_macht
08/06/2017, 06:43 PM
Really depends on the system, how much natural food is present versus the fish load. I've had larger, established tanks with light fish loads that I would regularly let go a week or longer without food. Contrast with my current small heavily stocked young system, which I would be nervous about letting go more than 24 hours without some kind of food.

I wouldn't let them go a week without some sort of food. Auto feeders are easy to set up and cheap. Might be worth picking one up if there's any question in your mind.

sh4rkbyt3
08/06/2017, 06:47 PM
Shouldn't be a problem if it's an established tank there are probably already some hidden meals and morsels in there ;).What size tank though? If it's a mini it could be an issue but on anything 30 and up, will likely be ok. They used to sell fish food pyramids for such issues but not sure since I've been out of the loop for 10 yrs lol. Or an automatic feeder is another option, a medium to large tank though I wouldn't worry.

hubble
08/06/2017, 06:52 PM
They still sell the little pyramid fish blocks. They come in weekend, week and even longer I think. I've used them several times with no problems. Although somebody will probably chime in and say how terrible they are and burst my bubble..................

AlSimmons
08/06/2017, 07:00 PM
I don't think you'll have any problems going a week without feeding. If your clownfish are anything like mine they'll be picking the pods off the glass as soon as the lights come on in the morning.

BeachVacationer
08/06/2017, 07:24 PM
That's what I figured, they're chunky and healthy. It's only a 5 gallon tank but they've been there for over 2 years now. I'll just feed them a bit extra and do a big WC couple days before I leave. Thanks.

45commando
08/06/2017, 07:53 PM
I think I read Discus have a short digestive tract compared to most fish species, so if yours are fine after 2 week vacay, then your Clowns should be fine.

I am a Discus fan, Had 6 Rio Negro wild Heckle in the 92 before converting it back to reef & had some wild Tefe in a 125 for a few years. Beautiful fish.

Enjoy your vacation.

nereefpat
08/06/2017, 08:21 PM
I agree that healthy fish in an established system should be fine for a week.

Auto feeders would be a great thing to have in this situation, and are good to have in general. However, I would not set one up and then go on vacation without testing it for at least a few days.

Another thing to consider will be topoff for the week, in case you haven't thought of that yet

BeachVacationer
08/06/2017, 08:40 PM
Pat, thanks for mentioning the ato. I do have and will setup my Tunze micro ato for my vacay. It failed on me once so I really don't trust it and only use it for vacations. I would like a better ato but hate to shell out another $100+.