PDA

View Full Version : My new DIY Infinity Tank (No Check Valve Design)

Luca_Brasi
08/06/2017, 07:51 PM
Check it out!

https://youtu.be/qRsa7GUkXYo

Luca_Brasi
08/06/2017, 08:19 PM
Here is some explanation. I have been working on an infinity aquarium with no check valve and I have finally built one. I have a catch tank and a spill tank that all sit on top of the stand. The water continuously overflows from the spill tank into the catch tank. The return pump sits in the catch tank behind the spill tank and the spill tank is a half cylinder that overflows on the entire curved front. Let me know what you think!

dartier
08/06/2017, 10:06 PM
Interesting. Is aluminum reef safe? I thought the salt would eventually leech aluminum into the water?

Neat idea though.

Dennis

Gorgok
08/07/2017, 04:00 AM
It may not rust, but it will corrode. Saltwater and electricity (the pump for now) will accelerate it too. On the plus side, it will protect any other metals from galvanic corrosion as it does so (its a sacrificial anode in that case).

Aluminum isn't all that toxic as far as i know, but it can be over time or to specific things.

I'd probably just cut a bit of glass to replace it, otherwise that looks neat.

Johnsreefer
08/07/2017, 05:44 AM
Do you worry about fish jumping out? Very cool idea. If you made the catch tray a little deeper you might be able to add some neat plants or mangroves to it.

Luca_Brasi
08/07/2017, 01:42 PM
It may not rust, but it will corrode. Saltwater and electricity (the pump for now) will accelerate it too. On the plus side, it will protect any other metals from galvanic corrosion as it does so (its a sacrificial anode in that case).

Aluminum isn't all that toxic as far as i know, but it can be over time or to specific things.

I'd probably just cut a bit of glass to replace it, otherwise that looks neat.

I am assuming that aluminum is not toxic to fish. If needed, the aluminum is easy to replace with a scraper and more silicon. Glass would work better probably.

Luca_Brasi
08/07/2017, 01:46 PM
Do you worry about fish jumping out? Very cool idea. If you made the catch tray a little deeper you might be able to add some neat plants or mangroves to it.

I've had several of these kinds of tanks. I have never lost a fish over the side. I'm not saying it won't happen someday. But hasn't happened yet. I even had a flame angel that thought it was cool to get right up to the edge and splash water over the side. It became obvious he was doing it for fun.

Deeper catch tank would be cool. I also think a glass catch tank would look better.

SFish
08/07/2017, 03:16 PM
That is pretty cool.

luu78
08/07/2017, 04:26 PM
Hi, have you thought about rounding off (bullnose) the top edge of the curve glass and then run a 3/16" bead of clear aquarium safe silicone on the top edge of the back glass to create additional height for the back. The water tension should break first at the bullnose edge of the front glass and overflow from there. There is a diamond sanding pad kit (100-10000 grit) that people use to round off granite countertop edge. I use it to round off glass and granite countertop before. By the time you get to 10,000 grit, the edge will be mirror finish. This way , It's fully salt water safe. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luca_Brasi
08/07/2017, 05:00 PM
Hi, have you thought about rounding off (bullnose) the top edge of the curve glass and then run a 3/16" bead of clear aquarium safe silicone on the top edge of the back glass to create additional height for the back. The water tension should break first at the bullnose edge of the front glass and overflow from there. There is a diamond sanding pad kit (100-10000 grit) that people use to round off granite countertop edge. I use it to round off glass and granite countertop before. By the time you get to 10,000 grit, the edge will be mirror finish. This way , It's fully salt water safe. Hope this helps

Yes I have used sand paper to round glass edges but it's a lot of work. This was just faster. I also thought about a bead of silicone to raise one side, I'm just not sure how well it would hold. Probably would work fine.

Luca_Brasi
08/07/2017, 05:00 PM
That is pretty cool.

Thanks!

Here is another infinity tank I built. Wasn't a great design because it depended on a check valve. In my experience check valves always fail eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-bozj1ONWI

luu78
08/07/2017, 05:40 PM
Definitely lots of work by hand. Depends on how often you do this type of custom work, it might be worthwhile to look into this item. I bought it from Amazon a few years ago. It sure makes a quick work out of polishing/shaping glass and granite edges. Even repair scratches on aquarium tanks too.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170807/70f9f3efc2e4249797c604b934f582d2.jpg

Luca_Brasi
08/07/2017, 08:57 PM
Definitely lots of work by hand. Depends on how often you do this type of custom work, it might be worthwhile to look into this item. I bought it from Amazon a few years ago. It sure makes a quick work out of polishing/shaping glass and granite edges. Even repair scratches on aquarium tanks too.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170807/70f9f3efc2e4249797c604b934f582d2.jpg

Nice, thanks for the info!

FullBoreReefer
08/08/2017, 10:26 AM
Innovative that's for sure, but to me it distorts the front view to much for my liking.

Luca_Brasi
08/10/2017, 09:12 AM
Innovative that's for sure, but to me it distorts the front view to much for my liking.

Thanks! It's hard to tell from the first video because there is no light and nothing inside but the tank with the single pain of curved glass isn't distorted at all.

When my daughter looked at it (7 years old), she didn't believe there was water running over it until she touched it.

The second video link is my square tank build. That view is definitely distorted as the water pulls away from the corners.