PDA

View Full Version : Need help IDing this sponge

Chuck KSU
08/06/2017, 09:58 PM
It's about 5 inches wide with a relatively flat bottom, upright finger-like branches about 3-4 tall. Dark grey/black. See photos.

Ron Reefman
08/07/2017, 05:52 AM
In 12 years of keeping aquariums and longer than that snorkeling in the Florida Keys and Bahamas, I've never seen a sponge like that! Is that going in your in your tank? Where did you get it? I'd love to try and keep a sponge like that. I assume you know sponges are VERY difficult to keep in marine aquariums? Most of them 98% or more are not photosynthetic and they require very fine particle food, usually with silica in it. They also like higher flow. Good luck.

Chuck KSU
08/07/2017, 08:24 AM
I'd never seen it either! I've spent considerable time on Google trying to ID it, with no luck. My local fish store got several pieces on something, and offered me a 'clump' for free (and you KNOW that is motivating!).

Of course, as soon as I got home I started to have doubts and in fact have yet to add it to any tank. They've had it for several weeks now, and they seem to be stable there in a live-rock-only tank.

I am concerned about it collapsing and fouling the water, and of any toxins it might release then or before. Better safe than sorry.

AlSimmons
08/07/2017, 11:09 AM
Carteriospongia vermifera?