PDA

View Full Version : New Tank, One SPS Frag , Large CA & ALK Uptake

mike810
08/07/2017, 01:08 AM
Like the title says, I have a 360 gallon tank with a large sump. Tank has been running for roughly a month. Plenty of fish in the tank, I recently purchased one SPS frag about 3" a couple days ago. My pukani rocks are turning green. I am having to dose 96 ml of CA and ALK a day to keep my parameters up. CA and ALK are dosed one hour apart from each other 12 times a day. What in my tank could be using so much alk and ca?

Tank parameters

MG: 1450 ( a little high from the salt mix, not dosing mg at the moment)
Alk: 8
CA: 445
PH: fluctuates from 8.2-8.3ish throughout the day

Need some help understanding why I have to dose so much with only 1 SPS frag in the tank which was only added a couple days ago. I was having to dose ALK before the frag even entered the tank. I only began to dose CA after introducing the sps frag.

scuzy
08/07/2017, 01:38 AM
What brand of salt are you using?

mike810
08/07/2017, 02:22 AM
What brand of salt are you using?

Fritz RPM

JWClark
08/07/2017, 07:38 AM
See my post in your build thread. Suspect this is a side effect of starting with dry rock.

scuzy
08/07/2017, 08:07 AM
There has been reports of fritz rpm in mix rodi over time losses alk.

bertoni
08/07/2017, 12:52 PM
Rocks turning green could be coralline algae growing. If so, coralline can consume 2-3 dKH per day, all on its own. My soft coral tanks went through 2-3 dKH per day for years.

mike810
08/07/2017, 01:44 PM
See my post in your build thread. Suspect this is a side effect of starting with dry rock.

Will do.

There has been reports of fritz rpm in mix rodi over time losses alk.

Fritz Alk for me didn't lose alk over time. It was straight up 6.2 after mixing and when I initially filled up my tank, the tank was 6.2 also. Both DT and NSW container tested at 6.2. IMO, Fritz alk for the batches I got are considerably low at 6.2, ca at 445 which I like along with MG at 1450/1500

Rocks turning green could be coralline algae growing. If so, coralline can consume 2-3 dKH per day, all on its own. My soft coral tanks went through 2-3 dKH per day for years.

Thank you, that's what I figure it might be. I asked this in my build threads but forgot to mention it here.

bertoni
08/07/2017, 02:28 PM
You're welcome. Good luck!

JWClark
08/08/2017, 05:34 AM
I'd suspect it is not coralline being the tank is only a month old. Coralline starts in small patches--not uniform changing of rock color. This can help you differentiate between the two. Current record for me w/ coralline is at the two month mark when seeded with liverock. Systems I've started from dry have taken at least 4 months to start having coralline popping up (doesn't mean it can't happen though).

Just FYI, on my current system I am using IO salt that I supplement a little extra Ca and Mg. Despite starting alk in the 10s my tank would be in the 7s for the first month or two while dosing some balling salts to boot. Current system started getting coralline growing everywhere between 2-3 months and the alk actually spiked to 9.5. Turned off dosing for a week and now have a stable 8.4 with dosing and auto water changes.

Just mention to give you some more info on my experience. This is why I suspect it is the rock itself. In any case, I wouldn't worry. With your alk monitor you should be able to keep stable through this growing period.

mike810
08/08/2017, 12:27 PM
I'd suspect it is not coralline being the tank is only a month old. Coralline starts in small patches--not uniform changing of rock color. This can help you differentiate between the two. Current record for me w/ coralline is at the two month mark when seeded with liverock. Systems I've started from dry have taken at least 4 months to start having coralline popping up (doesn't mean it can't happen though).

Just FYI, on my current system I am using IO salt that I supplement a little extra Ca and Mg. Despite starting alk in the 10s my tank would be in the 7s for the first month or two while dosing some balling salts to boot. Current system started getting coralline growing everywhere between 2-3 months and the alk actually spiked to 9.5. Turned off dosing for a week and now have a stable 8.4 with dosing and auto water changes.

Just mention to give you some more info on my experience. This is why I suspect it is the rock itself. In any case, I wouldn't worry. With your alk monitor you should be able to keep stable through this growing period.

I've googled green coraline algae and most people say that it comes on fairly quickly and not spotty like the red/pink or purple stuff. My tank literally turned green over the course of 2-3 days and it not hairy stuff or anything like that. It's like the rocks have been stained green and cannot be scrubbed off. Either way, I appreciate your input. I'm now up to 144ml a day as my alk keeps slowly dropping even with the KHG supplementing alk after a test.

bertoni
08/08/2017, 12:52 PM
If it's coralline, a small sample will bubble in vinegar and dissolve. You could test it if you're curious. All in all, I think you're seeing coralline, at least in part.

JWClark
08/08/2017, 03:53 PM
Interesting. Just my experience but not a predicter of your results! If it is coralline you got better luck than me!

If you do the vinegar test note that your rock will bubble/fizz as well since they are made of CaCO3.

mike810
08/08/2017, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I can't even scrape the thing off the rock if I wanted to do a test. It just turns to dust when I try.

bertoni
08/08/2017, 08:35 PM
If it turns to dust, it's not coralline. Coralline is like a rock.

mike810
08/08/2017, 09:40 PM
I am starting to see purple and red specks on my rocks. Lets see if these specks start to grow.