PDA

View Full Version : Foureye butterfly fish

Bobbitworm13
08/07/2017, 04:54 PM
I've got a few questions about the foureye butterfly fish.
1. Are they softie and gorgonian safe?
2. Since they grow to about 5 inches (never seen a six inches and only a couple at 5 in probably 100-150 hours on Florida reefs) would a foureye be okay in a 40B?
3. How hard are they to care for(weaning to frozen)
Thank you in advance

MMacro
08/08/2017, 06:44 AM
Chaetodon capistratus?
They are fairly difficult to get feeding and will require a tank much larger than 40 gallons. They are known to go after gorgonians and sps.

Here are some articles that mght be useful.

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/fish/discover/species-profiles/chaetodon-capistratus/

http://life-sea.blogspot.nl/2011/07/life-of-four-eye-butterflyfish.html?m=1

Bobbitworm13
08/08/2017, 06:51 AM
Ok thanks, I've read those articles and I'm not afraid of the difficulty, just didn't want to put one in too small of a tank. Why do you think they need a larger tank as they average around 4 inches (the same size and activity level as a dwarf angel).

MMacro
08/08/2017, 07:08 AM
Ok thanks, I've read those articles and I'm not afraid of the difficulty, just didn't want to put one in too small of a tank. Why do you think they need a larger tank as they average around 4 inches (the same size and activity level as a dwarf angel).

I have seen them get upwards of 6 inches. I wouldn't put one in anything less than 48" long, preferably longer. They get easily stressed in smaller tanks.

Bobbitworm13
08/08/2017, 07:29 AM
Oh ok, thanks for dissuading me from getting one and putting it in too small of an aquarium. What about the Atlantic longnose?

MMacro
08/08/2017, 09:50 AM
The longnose is a bit smaller and much easier to care for than the four eye, however an adult Prognathodes aculeatus is not suitable for a 40 gallon. I would not recommend any type of butterfly fish to a 40 breeder.

Bobbitworm13
08/08/2017, 10:15 AM
Ok, thank you for the advice

MMacro
08/08/2017, 01:16 PM
Ok, thank you for the advice

If you are looking for an active fish you could try an african flameback angel (Centropyge aurantonotus).

Bobbitworm13
08/08/2017, 01:20 PM
I already have a C. argi, I am making my tank a Caribbean biotope and was looking for a second open waterish fish.

mike61289
08/08/2017, 08:57 PM
Butterflies are definitely not suitable for a tank that size. Even the small ones still inhabit large reefs and like the space to roam around. Confining any open water swimmers to a 40 gallon would just be cruel.

I'd advise you to look more into fish that like to stick to small areas of a reef. Royal grammas don't venture around much and are found in Caribbean waters. There are a few gobies too and even some damsels (although I wouldn't recommend the damsels since they can be jerks) that will venture out but won't feel confined in a tank that size.

saf1
08/09/2017, 08:05 PM
Butterflies are definitely not suitable for a tank that size. Even the small ones still inhabit large reefs and like the space to roam around. Confining any open water swimmers to a 40 gallon would just be cruel.

I'd advise you to look more into fish that like to stick to small areas of a reef. Royal grammas don't venture around much and are found in Caribbean waters. There are a few gobies too and even some damsels (although I wouldn't recommend the damsels since they can be jerks) that will venture out but won't feel confined in a tank that size.

There are some damsels that would be ok in a tank that size. Allens, Azures, Talbots for example. Also Starcki's when you can find them. They will need caves and crevices to call home of course and your mileage may vary. I have had great luck with Azures and Talbots - that family seems to be a bit more calm or so it seems.

Bobbitworm13
08/09/2017, 08:14 PM
I like damsels and have had them in the past but I'm doing a Caribbean biotope with this tank. Do you have any suggestions for fish?

saf1
08/09/2017, 08:56 PM
I like damsels and have had them in the past but I'm doing a Caribbean biotope with this tank. Do you have any suggestions for fish?

Fair enough. Its has been a couple years since I have been diving there but I seem to recall plenty of damsels native to the area.

eastlake
08/10/2017, 06:41 AM
Blue reef chromis are an open water swimming Caribbean fish, I just don't know how many would work in a 40 breeder as they get to be a pretty descent size for a chromis. This post is also being made under the assumption that you're not adverse to all damsel type fish.

Bobbitworm13
08/10/2017, 09:24 AM
I don't think blue reef chromis would be a great idea since they get pretty big

mike61289
08/10/2017, 02:32 PM
Blue reef chromis are an open water swimming Caribbean fish, I just don't know how many would work in a 40 breeder as they get to be a pretty descent size for a chromis. This post is also being made under the assumption that you're not adverse to all damsel type fish.

They would get too big for a tank that size. Besides that, I find that they are either not collected well or don't adjust to captivity. They bring in diseases and just wither away.

Bobbitworm13
08/10/2017, 08:39 PM
Mike, do you have any suggestions for a couple of Caribbean fish? I don't want a royal gramma, maybe a black cap or other basslet

hogfanreefer
08/10/2017, 09:57 PM
Sailfin Blenny is a Caribbean fish that we've seen on many dives. Cherub angel is another but they pack an attitude. Black cap basslets are great fish. We see them deeper than grammas and they seem to be more shy.

mike61289
08/10/2017, 10:17 PM
Mike, do you have any suggestions for a couple of Caribbean fish? I don't want a royal gramma, maybe a black cap or other basslet

Blackcaps are beautiful but can be more territorial than royal grammas. It's not a bad fish overall though.

Another suggestion and personal favorite of mine are the yellowhead jawfish. They're really cute, easy to care for if kept with peaceful tank mates, and are really entertaining. Like the wrasses, they need a cover of some sort over the tank because they do jump when startled. They also need a 2.5-3 inch sand bed.

Besides those, there aren't many fish I can think of for a 40 gallon. It's not much room to work with and many of the Caribbean fish that are imported are large (queen angels, rock beauty angels, porcupine puffers, etc...).

Just out of curiosity, why are you sticking to a Caribbean biotope?

pinnatus
08/11/2017, 08:06 AM
Hi hats are good, interesting fish.

Bobbitworm13
08/11/2017, 08:42 AM
I want to replicate some of what I see when I dive in the Florida keys, that's why I am sticking to a Caribbean biotope. I like yellow headed jaw fish but it won't work with a future critter I'm getting. Hi hats look cool but how big do they get?

pinnatus
08/11/2017, 04:08 PM
Live aquaria says 70 gallon minimum. Never mind.

mike61289
08/11/2017, 04:12 PM
I want to replicate some of what I see when I dive in the Florida keys, that's why I am sticking to a Caribbean biotope. I like yellow headed jaw fish but it won't work with a future critter I'm getting. Hi hats look cool but how big do they get?

What's the future critter? The yellowhead jawfish is peaceful and invert safe in my experience.

Bobbitworm13
08/11/2017, 05:22 PM
The future critter is (hopefully) N. oerstedii. I have had these mantises with fish in the past and they have been great. I would worry about jawfish because of the burrowing nature of this fish. My luck would be the jawfish builds its home in front of the mantises cave. I'm not worried about the fish as long as it isn't a substrate dweller

PatW
08/12/2017, 08:42 AM
Yellow headed jawfish dig burrows. They like coarse sand and rubble. Years ago, I had two. They built their burrows and decorated the entrances to their burrows with pebbles. They coveted each other's pebbles and spent most of their time attempting to steal the valuable pebbles. I never could figure out what made certain pebbles valued.

Bobbitworm13
08/12/2017, 09:15 AM
Yellow headed jawfish dig burrows. They like coarse sand and rubble. Years ago, I had two. They built their burrows and decorated the entrances to their burrows with pebbles. They coveted each other's pebbles and spent most of their time attempting to steal the valuable pebbles. I never could figure out what made certain pebbles valued.

Yeah, I would be worried about one trying to steal my mantises pebble and the WHAM! rip jawfish:thumbdown:

Bobbitworm13
08/12/2017, 10:30 AM
I need a couple of fish suggestions(black cap basslet is on the list). I will be going to my lfs this afternoon to get some Caribbean coral plus a fish or 2