PDA

View Full Version : Royal Exclusiv Skimmers

sprouseod
08/07/2017, 07:12 PM
Hi, I am setting up my first reef tank. I had some experience in fish only salt water tanks MANY years ago so reefing will be a new learning experience. I am looking at a RSR 170 or 250. In researching this endeavor I noticed to Bubble King Skimmers seem to be way more expensive than most of the other popular skimmers. My question is, are they worth it at that price point? Why so expensive?

Thanks
Richard

Ron Reefman
08/08/2017, 02:16 AM
IMHO, Royal Exclusiv is very appropriately named and although maybe the best made equipment in the business, it is still seriously over priced. Think of RE as the Rolls Royce of the aquarium industry. Sure it's well made, but who needs it and who but the rich want to pay that kind of premium.

reefwiser
08/08/2017, 08:13 AM
Royal Exclusiv skimmers are built like tanks compared to other skimmers. If you want a skimmer that will last or be worth something down the road RE skimmers are the way to go. I have been using a skimmer on my tanks since 1982 and I have found buying a good one makes your life easier.

JimON
08/08/2017, 09:10 AM
http://www.lifereef.com

Still expensive, but not as much as RE. Built to last.

Joe0813
08/08/2017, 11:27 AM
I have a reef octopus POV DC3 and I hate it.... within 2 years the acrylic on the base started to spider crack, sometimes it skims sometimes it doesn't. just kind of a crap skimmer. so my next one I don't care what it cost ill get a RE. You get what you pay for

Sk8r
08/08/2017, 11:49 AM
I'm using an EShopps 200 that is doing very well for me.

Ron Reefman
08/09/2017, 06:55 AM
BTW, I have an Aqua Medic Turbo Floater 5000. I bought it used 7 or 8 years ago and it still works great! If I ever found a used one in good condition I buy it in a heart beat for one of my other tanks.

cham
08/09/2017, 08:36 AM
Ten years ago no one was doing bubble plates, or had fantastic numbers on air draw and they were pretty much the only game going for serious major league skimming.

Since then, the industry has caught up and although you might get slightly better xyz from RE brands, the reality is a lot of threads are shifting from "How do I clean up my dirty water" to "How do I get my water dirtier" as evidence to the above.

Plenty of great brands that do a very good job of skimming and will be all that you ever need. However, if you'd like an exclusive skimmer that will hold resale and hold up most likely better long term, then get a RE

Joe0813
08/10/2017, 06:43 PM
well just looked at prices on the RE skimmer for my tank.... almost 2k and on that note I take back my previous statement on buying one and not caring how much it cost... 2k on a skimmer is just to much.

Cheapreef
08/10/2017, 07:39 PM
Deltec, had one for years on my old tanks. Have one on my current tank, never seem skimmate like what a Deltec pulls out. They just work well worth the $$

Potatohead
08/10/2017, 10:42 PM
This is one of those things that you either get, or you don't. Why would someone want to drive an S-Class Mercedes when a 2001 Sonata will also get you places? Same deal here.

Browncoat
08/10/2017, 10:47 PM
This is one of those things that you either get, or you don't. Why would someone want to drive an S-Class Mercedes when a 2001 Sonata will also get you places? Same deal here.LMAO

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Punchanello
08/11/2017, 12:18 AM
This is one of those things that you either get, or you don't. Why would someone want to drive an S-Class Mercedes when a 2001 Sonata will also get you places? Same deal here.

True. I'm a sucker for throwing my money at nice crap, though. Somewhere in the back of my mind is this little voice saying "but what if the expensive one does it better?".

Potatohead
08/11/2017, 12:41 AM
True. I'm a sucker for throwing my money at nice crap, though. Somewhere in the back of my mind is this little voice saying "but what if the expensive one does it better?".

I hear you. I love premium product, and typically German product, no matter what it is. I don't really know why but I tend to think it's because they do things the way I would do them.

Now whether spending triple for an Abyzz pump or a Bubble King skimmer over an Eheim or a Vertex is another question because those latter brands tend to be pretty darn great too.