PDA

View Full Version : those who have dyi lights i need some advice do not know where to go from here

chris_s9181
08/07/2017, 07:42 PM
i got me some lights 4rb to 1 ww for a total of ten, my question is can i just thermal paste the lights on or do i actually have to screw them?i have cree 3w and i am confused on how to screw them down

Gorgok
08/07/2017, 07:46 PM
If you use thermal adhesive you won't need to screw it down. It will be harder to remove than screws if you end up needing to later though. Not impossible or anything, but it may leave marks in the heatsink.

Horace
08/08/2017, 12:33 PM
Thermal paste is not an adhesive....if you are using the same stuff that you use for mounting CPUs on a PC motherboard, you still need to screw them to the heatsink. Many heatsinks like the Makers style make this very easy.

jayball
08/08/2017, 12:42 PM
Assuming you have a heatsync that is not already drilled you need to get a small tap and die (well in this case you only need the tap) set and drill / tap the pattern you want the screws to mount the LED.

You can also use thermal adhesive.

As stated above the fancy heat sync's like the makers take the work out of this part of it.

oreo57
08/08/2017, 03:00 PM
"Heatsink plaster" and other Silicone based thermal adhesives work fine.
2 part epoxy heatsink compound works too. more expensive

djbon
08/08/2017, 08:32 PM
Thermal paste is not an adhesive....if you are using the same stuff that you use for mounting CPUs on a PC motherboard, you still need to screw them to the heatsink. Many heatsinks like the Makers style make this very easy.

You can buy thermal paste with adhesive compound in it. I still have half tube of this paste and it is hard to remove especially on matrix LED. It dries slowly under room temperature, I let it dries up under scorching hot sun together with the heatsink for few hours.