PDA

View Full Version : [B]125 Gallon Reef Build!!![/B]

Reefingmark
08/08/2017, 02:10 PM
Ok fellow reefers. So I recently sold my 75 gallon tank (from top to bottom) and put all the money into a 125 drilled aquarium (used).As excited as I am to get going on this build I do have a few questions.

1) What should I use to clean the aquarium?
*this is a used 125, it was used for freshwater

2) What heater would you recommend?

I ordered my stand, sump, salt, ro/di, wavemakers and return pump and I should have all that by the end of this week.

I'll post pics as the build goes. I really would like to take my time and do it right this go around. I cut a lot of corners on my 75 and paid for it dearly.

Please help me on this built! Any and all advice is welcome! :rollface:

Reefingmark
08/09/2017, 07:32 AM
Need advice on live rock

I purchased about 100lbs of Flroida dry rock and I was wondering if I needed to cure the rock. My supplier said the rock could go directly into the aquarium. But all the forums that I saw suggest otherwise. What should I do?

Reefingmark
08/10/2017, 07:11 AM
Ok so my stand and sump showed up today. Let me explain:strange: I went to order a 42 inch ref. from my sump supplier (I use this supplier for all my sumps). He informed me that one of his customers returned a 48 inch sump because it would not fit under his stand. He was willing to sell it for $250.00. It's a $500.00 sump, I thought I couldn't pass that up! After modifying my stand and getting everything ready....... NO GO! That hurts.

Reefingmark
08/15/2017, 09:27 PM
So I found this Aqueon Mega overflow kit online for a great deal. My LFS wanted $90.00 I paid $90 for both. I thought I was going to have to build the overflow as I was not about to pay that much (El Cheapo)! Built coming along slowly! BUT COMING NON THE LESS!

BlackburnD
08/16/2017, 06:26 AM
Bummer about the sump.

Kaiser699a
08/18/2017, 02:12 AM
I would at least soak the dry rock in RO for a couple of weeks and test the water to make sure it isn't leaching Phosphate on you. I got dry pukani rock (I know it isn't the same as yours) and it leached loads of gunk. I was moving house so soaking the rock for 2 months was no problem for my impatience because I wasn't setting up the new tank until after the move. I was glad because I probably would have rushed on thinking the rock would be fine and I would have had loads of issues. Probably worth taking the time to test yours.

Kaiser699a
08/18/2017, 02:20 AM
I recommend BM Curve 7 skimmer, Evergrow 5012 LED, Tunze auto top up and get a temperature controller and some fans for over your sump. Check them out. For heaters I can't recommend any brand in particular but I would recommend going with 2 heaters rated for your system volume. That way you have redundancy if one fails but also they have to work much less and reduces the chances they will fail. The temp controller will stop them over heating your system if they fail "on". I got a temp controller with the 2 plugs for around £40 in the UK. Works great (25degC +- 0.5degC) and no need for expensive computer set up.

Reefingmark
08/22/2017, 09:21 AM
Thank you Kaiser699a! But you would soak the rock in ro not salt?

Reefingmark
08/22/2017, 09:30 AM
Here are a few goodies that came in today. I got my 6 stage R/O, Return pump and Wavemakers.