PDA

View Full Version : Can't seem to adjust water level in nano cube

kupadupapupa
08/08/2017, 06:12 PM
I just set up my new 28 JBJ and I can't seem to get the water level right, it's acting as though the stock return pumps are too strong but this can't be the case so it's something I'm doing wrong.

I'm trying to raise the water in the return chambers but I can't do this without the display tank water coming up over the rim. If I add water to the returns it's just pumped out and overflows my display, if I add water to my display the water level in the returns goes up ever so slightly but still overflows my display.

Also, the water level covers about half of the surface skimmer when the pumps are running, not sure if this is a problem or not. Any help is appreciated.

ReefWreak
08/08/2017, 06:51 PM
Do you have a surface skimmer on? Maybe try removing it and seeing if it is clogged or too high or something? You should never have water overflow the partition unless the drains are clogged.

kupadupapupa
08/08/2017, 07:07 PM
Skimmer is in the middle compartment but it's not on. The water isn't overflowing the partitions in the back, it's just that with both return pumps running at the same time I can't raise the water level in the two rear corner sections without overflowing my display.

TOOMANYFISH
08/08/2017, 07:20 PM
Try pulling your skimmer out and test it. What do you mean both returns? Normally only one pump for a return( don't know your tank setup )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kupadupapupa
08/08/2017, 07:43 PM
Pulled the skimmer and still no change, I've have no idea what I'm doing wrong. By both returns I mean both corner compartments with the pumps.

I have included a few pics where you can see how high my display water level is and how low the water level in the rear return compartment is. It's a little hard to see on the pic but you can kind of tell by looking at the ato and it's completely out of the water.

You can also see how high the water level goes up on the surface skimmer/overflow, i would think the water shouldn't be that high covering almost have of the plastic overflow.

TOOMANYFISH
08/08/2017, 07:46 PM
If you add more water to the rear chamber it raises in Display?
That means something is restricting the water to get to the pump or the pump is pumping more water than the overflow can handle

TOOMANYFISH
08/08/2017, 07:46 PM
How big is your pump

kupadupapupa
08/08/2017, 07:58 PM
If you add more water to the rear chamber it raises in Display?
That means something is restricting the water to get to the pump or the pump is pumping more water than the overflow can handle

How big is your pump

Yes, if I add water to the rear the display level will rise. I would hope they would match the overflow size with the power of the pumps.

I have all the foam pieces pulled out from the rear as well as the media basket and placed the skimmer in that chamber and it doesn't really impede the water flow that much.

TOOMANYFISH
08/08/2017, 07:59 PM
Stumped [emoji848]

kupadupapupa
08/08/2017, 08:02 PM
Stumped [emoji848]

Me too man, I don't even know what to do check next. I don't know if I should Dremel out the overflow a bit or what.

ca1ore
08/08/2017, 09:33 PM
Pictures would help. Remember that for water to move through the overflow there must be a level difference. My guess is that as you add water to,the rear chamber the level differential is insufficient for proper flow. I typically keep my rear chamber 2" lower than the display.

kupadupapupa
08/08/2017, 10:05 PM
Pictures would help. Remember that for water to move through the overflow there must be a level difference. My guess is that as you add water to,the rear chamber the level differential is insufficient for proper flow. I typically keep my rear chamber 2" lower than the display.

I added some pics, i think they are in the 3rd or 4th post. My corner chamber water level where the returns sit is around 6" lower than the display. If I add any more water than this the water level in my display will rise right to the rim of the tank where the lighting brackets sit.

No matter how much water I add to the return chambers, they will basically get sucked dry and start sucking air. I think I'm going to cut the theeth off on the overflow grate and see if that is what's impeding the flow back to the rear chamber

kupadupapupa
08/09/2017, 12:07 AM
Well, I cut the teeth out of the overflow and it works now. Stupid design, you would think they would at least match the power of the pumps with an overflow that could handle it.

aznflyfisherman
08/09/2017, 12:41 AM
Cant you adjust the pump flow? Even on smaller pumps sometimes they have adjustments...

kupadupapupa
08/09/2017, 12:47 AM
No not on these.

luu78
08/09/2017, 05:52 AM
The weir openings are not capable of handling the overflow volume produced by your pumps. Maybe drill additional holes in between the weirs, thus increasing overflow volume or install a ball valve on the pump outlets to tune them down to get proper water level in the sump chamber.

ReefWreak
08/09/2017, 08:04 AM
Its weird, if that's their stock overflow, you'd think we'd hear more complaints about this, but this is the first time I'm hearing it. I'm glad that you found a working solution though, and I'll keep it in mind in case I see anyone else with the issue.

Best of luck with the rest of the tank setup!

Skyjacker07
08/09/2017, 08:32 AM
Gotta have something not right I have the same tank, and don't have any issues adjusting the rear water level without causing an overflow.