PDA

View Full Version : 5ft Reef tank, how many fish?

Stevenlatham01
08/08/2017, 07:25 PM
Hi I'm brand new to this so need some advice. I'm hoping to be getting a 5ft x 2ft x 2ft tank with a 3ft sump. I was hoping to start a reef over time but will start mainly with live rock.

Over a long period of time was hoping to get the following fish:

Azure Damselfish
2x Ocellaris Clown paired
Royal gramma
Blue Surgeon Tang
Yellow tang
Six Line Wrasse
Red Star fish

Would this be over stocking? Would all this fish get on ok and be fine with soft corals? Any advise will be much appreciated.

mike61289
08/08/2017, 09:11 PM
I wouldn't mix two tangs in a tank that size. Stick to the yellow tang. It'll do better in a tank that size than the blue tang (I'm assuming that's "Dory").

The six line wrasse will be a jerk, even in a tank that big. You will regret adding it. Look into a trio of flasher wrasses or maybe even a trio of smaller fairy wrasses. They're more friendly and diverse in color. Another option is the yellow wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus). I have one and love it! Be sure to have a cover on your tank so that they don't jump!

Wait a year or two before adding the starfish. They need established tanks to do well and can be a pain to acclimate.

All of those fish will be fine with soft corals. Do you have any plans for a cleanup crew (shrimps, crabs, snails, etc...)? You should start with one fish and the cleanup crew before adding anything else.

Stevenlatham01
08/09/2017, 02:28 AM
Thanks for the reply. The Blue Tang (Dory) is a must as it's my daughters favourite fish. Would it be ok in a 5ft tank? Or should I go for the 6ft?

I won't go with the six line then but was under the impression that with reef tanks its best to keep them uncovered? Is that not true?

Pericyte
08/09/2017, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the reply. The Blue Tang (Dory) is a must as it's my daughters favourite fish. Would it be ok in a 5ft tank? Or should I go for the 6ft?

I won't go with the six line then but was under the impression that with reef tanks its best to keep them uncovered? Is that not true?

I would use a 1/4 or 1/8 inch netting for the top of your tank. Bulk reef supply has some nice products.

If you want to keep a tang for its entire life, this is a good (realistic) guide:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946079

Pericyte
08/09/2017, 03:17 AM
Also, I don't know what your plans are or how much experience you have, but I would 100% setup a quarantine tank. Regal tangs are notoriously susceptible to disease. I proactively treat all my fish before they go in the display tank (the first tank I setup I lost several fish due to disease and my own ineptitude). Also look into feeding with nori in addition to mysis shrimp, and maybe selcon. Good luck!

nereefpat
08/09/2017, 12:29 PM

Unfortunately, Dory gets too big (a foot long) for most hobbyists' tanks. A 6' 180 would be better, but still not ideal. There are lots of blue fish in the sea, however.

Stevenlatham01
08/10/2017, 05:14 PM
Ok so going to have to go for the the 6ft tank then. That's the largest I can get. It will be 6ft x 2ft x 2ft.

So taking into account the above feedback, will this get on in this order:

Ocellaris Clown 2

Yellowtail Blue Damselfish

Azure Damselfish

Blue Surgeon Tang

royal gramma

Fire Angel

mike61289
08/10/2017, 10:20 PM
Ok so going to have to go for the the 6ft tank then. That's the largest I can get. It will be 6ft x 2ft x 2ft.

So taking into account the above feedback, will this get on in this order:

Ocellaris Clown 2

Yellowtail Blue Damselfish

Azure Damselfish

Blue Surgeon Tang

royal gramma

Fire Angel

Just a personal opinion: I would swap out the damsels for some flasher or fairy wrasses. They add more color and movement. Damsels aren't very interesting to watch in an aquarium.

Kremis
08/11/2017, 12:29 AM
180 is good for blue tangs. i have had mine for going on 5 years in a 6x2x2 and it hasnt gotten bigger than 4 inches, bought it when it was 1. its probably just shy of 4 inches right now and has been for a few years. they really grow to the size of the tank