PDA

View Full Version : Red Sea foundation: alk/dkh

bmackcw
08/08/2017, 08:06 PM
I'm about to switch over from BRS to the complete Red Sea program. I'm seeing the desired dkh is, like, around 12. I have a heavily mixed tank SPS/lps/zoas/etc. I've always kept dkh around 9.5.

Instructions say to get all my foundation levels to the ideal point before programming the doser. Anyone else use this system, and do you have any issues at 12dkh? Like burnt SPS or anything?

Potatohead
08/08/2017, 09:41 PM
Red Sea recently released some "recipes" on their site, I'm sure a Google search would bring it up. I'd probably follow the SPS dominant one, I wouldn't want to run my alk so high personally like in the mixed reef one. You can keep a little higher nitrate than they recommend as well if you wish.

bmackcw
08/08/2017, 10:20 PM
Red Sea recently released some "recipes" on their site, I'm sure a Google search would bring it up. I'd probably follow the SPS dominant one, I wouldn't want to run my alk so high personally like in the mixed reef one. You can keep a little higher nitrate than they recommend as well if you wish.

Thanks! My nitrates have been zero since I started the Red Sea NOPX. I'm also reading that you don't want higher alk when carbon dosing. (I assume nopx is carbon dosing in some form.)

Potatohead
08/08/2017, 10:46 PM
I use nopox as well and I keep my alk in the low to mid 7's.

mcgyvr
08/09/2017, 04:48 AM
Many people have found that with very low nutrient levels that they need to keep their alk lower to avoid issues..