PDA

View Full Version : High magnesium?

ssgss gogeta
08/09/2017, 05:11 AM
So in my 15G nano. I have noticed a steady increase in magnesium. Tested on 2 different tests and tested fresh mixed up water at 1400. ATM it has increased to 1750.

I also think this increased mag may have been a previous mentioned issue with lps.

Other parameters
Alk - 10
Calcium - 480
Nitrates - 2
Phosphates - 0.03
Salinity - 35

Stock
2 clowns
Mixed reef soft,lps,sps,
Snails, hermits, coral banded shrimp, clam

Feeding, dosing, addictives
Frozen cube - I'm not sure some mix
Reef roids - half recommended dose x 2 per week target feeding
Red Sea energy B amminos half recommended dose x 2 per week into return section

Equipment
- skimmer
- uv sterilizer
- refugium (light 24/7)
- heater
- return pump

So I have no idea how my mag is increasing? Any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssgss gogeta
08/09/2017, 05:14 AM
Edit dose randies baking soda for alk. My alk drops regularly I'm assuming something with the high mag. Calcium so far has been boosted with water changes.

Martin Kuhn
08/09/2017, 07:58 AM
- there must be something that raises your Mg.
either you dose something that contains als Mg and you don't know or there is some material in your tank where Mg is soluted steadily and thus rising Mg in your tanks water.
Do you use artficial rocks, reef ceramics etc in your tank?

- steadily dropping Alk values are typical for reef tanks with LPS/SPS. This is independent from your Mg level. You have to be steadily maintain an Ok level either by either dosing 2/3 part (works always) by Ca reactor (works always but in combination also with ca dosed sometimes too much) by Kalkwasser (only up to a certain consumption if dosed via ATO)

bertoni
08/09/2017, 01:12 PM
If you're only dosing baking soda and the three items in your list, you should be safe as far as magnesium.

I agree that there might be something going into the water column. My first guess would be that the saltwater for changes is very high. Sometimes batches of salt have problems, or the containers settle badly in shipment. I might check a fresh batch.

Testing problems also are a common enough issue that I'd get a second opinion on the kit. Maybe a local fish store could run a magnesium test for you?

ssgss gogeta
08/09/2017, 05:29 PM
- there must be something that raises your Mg.

either you dose something that contains als Mg and you don't know or there is some material in your tank where Mg is soluted steadily and thus rising Mg in your tanks water.

Do you use artficial rocks, reef ceramics etc in your tank?

- steadily dropping Alk values are typical for reef tanks with LPS/SPS. This is independent from your Mg level. You have to be steadily maintain an Ok level either by either dosing 2/3 part (works always) by Ca reactor (works always but in combination also with ca dosed sometimes too much) by Kalkwasser (only up to a certain consumption if dosed via ATO)

If you're only dosing baking soda and the three items in your list, you should be safe as far as magnesium.

I agree that there might be something going into the water column. My first guess would be that the saltwater for changes is very high. Sometimes batches of salt have problems, or the containers settle badly in shipment. I might check a fresh batch.

Testing problems also are a common enough issue that I'd get a second opinion on the kit. Maybe a local fish store could run a magnesium test for you?

- I have always used randies recipe in the past. In this tank the only dosing that's been required so far is alk. Calcium drops a tiny bit but it's replenished in weekly water changes and not worth dosing yet. Obviously with high mag. I have never dosed for mag yet either.

- Tests were done with two different test kit, salifert and nyos as well as lfs tested all came back the exact same. This was a week or so ago that showed it was rising think it was 1600 then.

- Nothing in the tank other than live rock (all rock was dead rock to start off with was treated correctly with acid and than lanthium chloride to removed phosphate from rock) sand and inhabitants so no artificial rock or ceramic or plastic novelties.

- I agree something inside the tank is causing it but I have never had high magnesium. Wondering where exactly I should start to look that's causing it?

bertoni
08/09/2017, 07:12 PM
I can't think of many credible possibilities other than salt mix problems or testing issues.

ssgss gogeta
08/09/2017, 09:03 PM
I can't think of many credible possibilities other than salt mix problems or testing issues.

I know right? Super strange. My two test kits and lfs testing can't be wrong though when we are getting the same numbers. Using Red Sea pro salt, and its testing from my two tests and lfs testing it at 1350

ssgss gogeta
08/09/2017, 10:12 PM
Just did a large water change. Brought it back down to 1450. Will monitor it every few days to see how much it rises

bertoni
08/10/2017, 07:59 AM
I'm going to guess that the salt mix settled badly during shipment, but that's only a guess.

ssgss gogeta
08/11/2017, 03:53 AM
Yeah it's weird magnesium today is still 1450

bertoni
08/11/2017, 08:42 PM
Did you test the batch of new water before using it?

ssgss gogeta
08/11/2017, 08:59 PM
Did you test the batch of new water before using it?

Yup, mixed it on Wednesday. Tested at 1350

Tested my water today at 1550 after it was 1450 on Wednesday so that's an increase of 100.

Even if the both my kits and lfs are wrong. I am super careful to test exactly the same each time. So even if the kits are wrong or my testing is wrong it should be consistently wrong. Meaning the increase should be a real increase.

However I even retested my mixed up salt water (I always mix enough to have 50% water change on hand incase disaster strikes) and it's still reading 1350.

So something weird is going on

bertoni
08/11/2017, 09:12 PM
Okay, if the new water is at 1350, it's going to take some large changes to bring the magnesium down rapidly. I don't think it's worth the time or money, personally. I'm not sure how the magnesium could increase, either, but I tend to blame testing issues in such cases. I've been right about that a fair percentage of the time, but there might be something else happening.

ssgss gogeta
08/11/2017, 09:16 PM
Okay, if the new water is at 1350, it's going to take some large changes to bring the magnesium down rapidly. I don't think it's worth the time or money, personally. I'm not sure how the magnesium could increase, either, but I tend to blame testing issues in such cases. I've been right about that a fair percentage of the time, but there might be something else happening.

Yeah man, usually when things don't add up it probably is testing. But I just don't feel these tests are out. Particularly when I can re-test the fresh salt water mix that's been siting the same amount of time and it still be consistent.

It really is just weird. I've never encountered something that could increase mag without dosing for it. But if it is increasing I've got to find a solution because of the rate that it is increasing. I can't just rely on constant large water changes.

I'm gonna go to anothe lfs and get them to test it also. Gonna take two samples current tank water and the fresh mixed up asw that's testing at 1350 and see what happens with that

ssgss gogeta
08/11/2017, 11:01 PM
Second lfs confirmed, 1550 mag in tank water and 1350 in fresh ASW.

No idea what is causing mag to increase google isn't helping much either

outssider
08/12/2017, 04:04 PM
holy moses ....it would take a lot of mag to increase 100 in two days......

ssgss gogeta
08/12/2017, 07:28 PM
holy moses ....it would take a lot of mag to increase 100 in two days......

Technically 3 days as for me was roughly midday Wednesday and midday Saturday when tested. Also a 15g nano so swings can a bit more wild than a bigger tank. Still it is ridiculous and I can't believe 4 different test kits from 3 different people are wrong