PDA

View Full Version : Are you properly calibrating your refractometer?

shiftline
08/09/2017, 10:54 AM
Are you properly calibrating your refractometer?
Lot of people just use RO/DI water which will read 0..however your not going to get the the most accurate results.

the next batch of people will use proper 35ppt/1.026 calibration solution which gets you closer.. but ar you taking into account the temperature compensation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_jAK_V9_kk

ReefsandGeeks
08/09/2017, 12:53 PM
Yes, I use proper calibration methods for my refractometer literally every time I use it. It's pretty annoying, but probably has saved me from unnecessary adjusting at least once.

WLachnit
08/10/2017, 12:36 AM
Yes, I use proper calibration methods for my refractometer literally every time I use it. It's pretty annoying, but probably has saved me from unnecessary adjusting at least once.

Does it drift that much every time? I guess every refractometer is different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mishri
08/11/2017, 02:34 PM
I've checked the calibration on my refactometer many times over the years, I've never had to adjust it once I had it properly calibrated. It's probably been a year since I last checked so I'll do it again.. but it's never changed on me.

FullBoreReefer
08/11/2017, 06:09 PM
My old one use to drift after awhile. I ended up getting a new one.

I set my calibration fluid in my sump for a few hours to get the temp the same.

homer1475
08/15/2017, 07:00 AM
If your refractometer has ATC, then wouldn't you calibrate by adding the fluid then letting it sit for 30 seconds for the temp to compensate regardless of what the fluid your using temp is?

Least this is how I've always done it with an ATC refractometer.

bertoni
08/15/2017, 03:30 PM
Various manufacturers of refractometers (or at least various labels) state that the device should be calibrated at a given temperature. I have no idea why. We've discussed this in the past, as well, and no one has come up with an explanation. When I was using a refractometer, I always calibrated the device at room temperature, which was very stable in my home, and it always worked well enough.

jason2459
08/15/2017, 10:20 PM
An ATC device has a temp range which is fairly reasonable and normal for most houses and tanks. I would give the sample a few seconds (30 seconds is sufficient) for the fluid and the surface it's placed on to settle in temperature wise. The temp of a fridge is not reasonable unless it's for a beverage to drink. :beer:

What would be more important to question is are you sure your 35ppt standard is accurate?
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2583418